Monday, March 10, 2008

Week of wonderful things!

This past week is the second of three weeks in which the Eden House is full so let me start off by selfishily asking everyone to pray for stamina for one more week of craziness! I won't go into detail, but let me just say I have cleaned more rooms this week (some of them twice) than in the eight months I've been handling the Eden House! (Szylvia, the housekeeper, is on vacation.) It's been very busy with a lot of guests coming and going, but it's also been a lot of fun.


"Sorry, Mom. I must have lost my boot somewhere."

Now that the weather is nicer, we are able to get outside and get some walking in. While Kari and Jonathan were here, we came across this interesting sight. Now, how do you think this kid explained to his mother how or where he lost his boot?


Duane and Melissa

Mary and Alvin, our co-workers, had a visit from their son and his wife and two children just as Kari and Jonathan were leaving. It's too bad their visits didn't overlap more because, it turns out that, Melissa was Kari's Acteens leader the year the Olympics came to Atlanta! Melissa, called Missy at that time, worked with the other leader, Diane Andrews Rose, and taught the girls clowning, which they then did in Atlanta as part of the Olympic festivities. Isn't it a small world? I think it is amazing that we already knew (although not well) Mary and Alvin's daughter in law!


Darcy and David, the beloved grandchildren of Mary and Alvin

I babysat one night so that Mary, Alvin, David and Melissa could go out for dinner together. It was a true flashback from middle school days because Alvin had to come pick me up and then bring me home later (because Glenn needed the car.) It was eery!


Thanks for "caring"!

Got a care package this week from Darrin and Kesha who lived down the street from us until this past November. They were our first friends here; our friendship went all the way back to the time we volunteered as counselors in Poland before being appointed with the IMB. I think I've gotten Kesha hooked on Randy Singer novels. She read a couple of mine before she left, and then mailed me these two newer ones after she got back to the States. If you haven't ever read any of his books, they're great! In real life, he is a Christian and a lawyer who practices in Atlanta, and his novels deal with ethical issues. Great clean reading!


Getting back to the care package, she also sent us some microwave Kettle Corn because she knew I was trying to make it here at home. Unfortunately, I have scortched so much sugared popcorn that I have given up on trying to make it myself! Glenn and I will really appreciate the microwave kettle corn!

Well, it's about time!


Every time (no joke!) I go to the grocery store (Tesco, a British version of Wal-mart), I check to see if they have started carrying peanut butter, and finally, my perseverance paid off! We "could" buy peanut butter in the "international" section for $6.70 for 16 ounces, but we just "couldn't" bring ourselves to pay that much for it. I figured EVENTUALLY the world would discover peanut butter, and now I know the British have! Tesco must have gotten one case of 9 jars to test the market, and I got the last two jars and they were only 250 forints, er, I mean $1.49!!!


I'll let you know if they ever get any more in. In some countries outside of America, store owners don't like to stock "hot" items because they can't keep it on the shelves, and they just have to keep re-ordering it, and it's just too much trouble!!! We've heard this tale from more than a dozen missionaries about favorite items in their country (so it must be true, right?)
Welcome Skipper and Sue!



Much of my time the past two weeks, in addition to working a full Eden House, has been outfitting a house for a new couple that arrived on Friday. The Board provides them with a "furnished" place to live and the house that was rented for them only had furniture provided, so I have spent the past week shopping for sheets, towels, dishes, cookware, etc. for them. I love this job! Sue is my new walking partner and even though she is short like me, she can give me a work out! You'll hear more about the Perryman's later!
I'll write more later....got to get up to the Eden House to welcome a new guest! Szia!

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Great update, Mom! Thanks for keeping us posted and filled in. So I guess I add PB to my list of things to stock up on in Buda-best, eh? Oh - and those yummy choco-chip cookies. Those were sooo good.

Y'all have a good week. Try not to be TOO busy!

Stephen and Beth Borders said...

Love the updates...we updated ours, if you haven't seen. You both look great!