Friday, June 20, 2008

AGM or Vacation?

Well, if you are one of our regular blog stalkers then you know that I am WAY BEHIND this week. Unfortunately though, I am not sure it will be much better for the next two weeks because we are about to go on the road again this Sunday. But let me back up....



I got a birthday care package from a wonderful friend last week and I loved it. Kristin has been faithful to let me know I am missed, but more than that, she prays regularly for me which I appreciate most of all! By the way, the book is really good!

Glenn and I attended the first of five annual general meetings (AGM) that will be held in Central and Eastern Europe this summer. The first one was for the folks who work in the Central Europe field (CEF), which is made up of 5 countries, including Hungary. We spent almost a week
in a small village about an hour from Budapest with close to 100 of our co-workers. We had a great time of...


being pampered by volunteers during Ladies Night...


enjoying corporate worship together...


having medical needs attended to...


and enjoying traditional dancing during a special Hungarian meal...

Glenn led a seminar and I sat there as the adoring wife....We did some jogging together twice (30 minutes without stopping!), and some great fellowship time around the bowl of popcorn.

We returned to Budapest on Thursday and have spent the weekend unpacking, cutting the grass, paying bills, doing laundry and returning tons of emails that came in while we were gone.

We leave on Sunday for Greece where we will have another one of these meetings, and then to Finland for the third one. (The fourth and fifth ones are at the end of July and the beginning of August and will be held in Ukraine and Russia.) The biggest challenge is packing clothes for two weeks in a suitcase that weighs no more than 20 kilos for temperatures in Greece that are in the low 90's and in the high 60's in Finland!! My daughter-in-law Kate wisely suggested layers!



Oh, one of the things we did while home this weekend is to get HIV testing for our passports for Russia! When we go to Russia for AGM in August, we have to prove we don't have Aids. Do I get any sympathy for that blood work??? We also had blood work done at the AGM (thanks to our volunteer medical team) so I feel like I have been a human pin cushion. By the way, Glenn and I are in tip top shape according to our blood!

While we were driving through town this weekend, Glenn noticed this car had FLORIDA license plates! What a weird sight! One of these days I hope to learn how this is possible. Not that I want to be a Florida resident living in Hungary.

I will TRY to update this blog at least once during the next 2 weeks while we are gone. In either case, I will probably have a guest/ghost writer the following week for your reading pleasure!!!

4 comments:

Pam D said...

My goodness, what fun travels! We'll be praying for safe passage and productive meetings (and for you to stay warm where you need to be warm and cool where you need to be cool!). We just finished VBS at WCC today... we had probably around 250 kids this year! Two years ago, I taught the only 2nd grade class, and the highest day of attendance was 22 kids. This week, I taught one of TWO 2nd grade classes, and we each had a high of 23 kids; we more than doubled in TWO years! What a great outreach.... touching hearts here at the same time you're touching them in Hungary. God is good... all the time... EVERYWHERE... :<)
hugs....Pam and Adam

The Massons said...

i kept scanning our groups shots looking for matt and valerie. :) so glad you got to meet them and yes they are a great couple. we have TOO much fun together. thanks for saying to them for us!!

Senegal Daily said...

Ghost writer? You mean Jonathan? ;)

1O MORE DAYS!!

We started packing lists this morning.

Stephen and Beth Borders said...

Glad to hear you are both in great health...assumingly so if you can run for 30 minutes straight!!! Way to go!!