Monday, March 02, 2009

I remember my mother...

...making snow ice cream for us when I was a child, living in Virginia and Germany. You know, places where there is enough snow to enjoy!



white snow, vanilla, milk and sugar



All you do is gather freshly fallen snow into a bowl, add some vanilla flavoring, a little sugar and some milk, stir and voila'! Instant snow ice cream!







Glenn's family made it with more milk than my family, so you can choose for yourself whether you want it slushy or icey. I hope Georgia gets another snowfall this winter and you can try it out for yourself!



Quality control, of course!






Guests from the Eden House

It's been a busy week here in Budapest. We had the folks at the Eden House down for a meal of soup, dessert and fellowship. I fixed potato broccoli soup and turkey noodle soup. Good comfort food for these last few wintery days!


They treated us to lunch at Pizza Hut!




We also had the pleasure of some friends come stay with us for a few days. They were in Hungary to attend a conference and when it was over, they came to stay with us for two nights. They are such nice folks and their kids are so unbelievably polite and well-behaved. I've only met two other kids who were as wonderful as these!



World's largest hourglass



While our friends were in town, we spent Saturday showing them some of the sights in downtown Budapest. We happened upon this hourglass that purports to be the world's largest! The plaque says that the wheel is turned once a year, before the sand runs out. The "sand that never runs out" is supposed to signify the eternal passage of time.




It's pretty big, isn't it?


Swimming with the sharks



We also spent a couple of hours at the Tropicarium that is located in the mall down the street from our house. This was our first time to visit it, and we were pretty impressed. It claims to be the largest Tropicarium in Middle Europe. Hmmmm, I wonder how many there are?






It was a pretty good way to spend a Saturday afternoon with four kids on a cold, gray winter day.



We are home this week and having dinner tonight with more friends from out of town. I was going to fix dinner for them, but they suggested McDonald's so their kids could play on the indoor playground while we talk. We'll come to our house for dessert. I fixed banana pudding.



Looks like all the snow has melted and the bulbs are bursting forth from the ground. Spring is right around the corner. Maybe next Saturday Glenn and I can work in the yard. That would be nice! We hope our friends and family in Georgia are doing okay after their blizzard this past week! Hey Dad, did you make any snow ice cream????

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

so the two other well-behaved kids you spoke of... would that be kate and jonathan? ;)
-J

Kate Borders said...

Even when we get "a lot" of snow here, I don't know that it's enough to make snow cream :) But...maybe when we live somewhere with more snow!!

Great post!
Love,
Kate

Tee said...

My Mom did the same with the snow. Growing up in Georgia we didn't have the treat very often, but we had SNOW this past Sunday. It was beautiful, huge snowflakes and it closed the schools on Monday. LOL.

kpjordan said...

Cile, growing up my mom used to make snow ice cream too...we called it "snow cream"...and I think she may have added egg, but I cannot remember. She'd make it in a big old dishpan. I've probably not tasted that since I was a very little girl. Fun memories.