Sunday, June 21, 2009

Back to the real world

The neatest thing happened last Tuesday.


The Borders and the Marshalls

We met up with John and Luanne downtown as they were on their way back to Wyoming from a mission trip to Romania. John used to be the Youth Minister at our church in Marietta when I served on staff as the interim Children's Minister. John, Luanne and 12 others from their church had finished a long week in Romania and had a one-night layover in Budapest. It was really nice to see them again.

We showed them the Grand Market Hall where they bought some souvenirs and then we walked down the pedestrian street called Vaci Street where they bought a few more.




We then walked across the Chain Bridge to get a better view of the Parliment building, my favorite sight in all of Budapest. After John and Luanne boarded the bus to go to their hotel, Glenn and I walked around a little and then enjoyed a pizza at Pizza Hut!



John and Luanne were a nice break in a busy week of preparing for a session we will be leading during our Annual General Meeting. I am out of my comfort zone and don't exactly love public speaking, so I would appreciate your prayers for me! Pray that our delivery will go smoothly and the folks learn something new, but most of all, pray that they don't see Glenn and me but instead, that God is the one they see and hear.



As summer continues, our plants are doing great and it is a joy every morning to go through the yard and harvest whatever is ripe!



The tomatoes are not ready yet...


... but one of our raspberry bushes is just beginning to produce.



The cherry tree has produced in abundance this year and I have more cherries in the freezer than Glenn and I will be able to eat before we go for furlough in September 2010. I need Kari and Jonathan to come help us eat them!



While Glenn was out picking the last of the cherries, our neighbor brought over another quart of raspberries from their yards. Earlier this week they brought over a quart so I made 5 small jars of jam with it. Since we don't we don't need any more jam for a while, I guess Glenn and I will have to eat either raspberry cobbler, raspberry tarts or just plain raspberries!

Glenn and I arrived in Greece yesterday for our annual general meeting and will be here until next Saturday. I'll tell you all about it next week! Come back!

5 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

No such thing as too much fruit!! Lucky for you, we're in the process of perfect the art of fruit-based ice creams, fro-yos and sorbets. I'll send you some recipe :) Better yet... we'll make them in August!

Tee said...

You probably have $20 worth of raspberries in that container! I'm with Kari, no such thing as too much fruit. Those cherries would make a wonderful cobblier.

Unknown said...

Give my mom a hug for me and enjoy Greece - can't wait to hear about it!

Love,
Kate

Paul J. said...

So cool to see the Borders and the Marshalls in the same picture. Anna says none of you have changed AT ALL...

Janey said...

what a great bounty - wish I had an excess of raspberries - they never last long at our house.

I brought fresh blueberries, strawberries, pineapple and cantaloupes home from Costco last night. My kids were thanking me for buying such good fruit - it is so tasty.

Our cherry tree is just ready to pick - pie cherries. So we are going to make pie fillings to freeze, will be so yummy this winter.

Your plants look just beautiful!