Sunday, July 19, 2009

Practice Hospitality. Romans 12:13b

This has been an incredibly busy week but a great one! I might not be successful at doing all the things the Bible tells me to do but there is one thing I have definitely done this week, and that is to practice hospitality!


Happy Birthday, Mark!

We've had someone staying in our home with us for the past week who left on Tuesday. Tuesday evening we hosted a party at our house with cake and homemade ice cream to celebrate the 40th birthday of one of our Eden House guests. There were 13 of us.

On Friday, I made a birthday cake for one of my friends who is fairly new to Budapest who was celebrating her first birthday out of the U.S. It is always hard to be away from family and friends on special days such as Thanksgiving, Christmas and birthdays, but especially during your first year away from home.


Brad, Karen, Abby and Chloe with Glenn and me

We had the Pollard family over for dinner on Saturday night to say good-bye to them. They are dear friends who are going back to the U.S. for their six months stateside assignment. We will really miss them. They will be staying in Maryville, Tennessee, which is from where Chris (our son) and Kate just moved. An interesting side note: Karen's father was on staff at the church that is across the street from Chris and Kate's old house! Small world.


Shopping for souvenirs on the Chain Bridge

Co-workers from Prague came to Budapest to see some friends of theirs from America who are passing through for a few days of sightseeing on their way back to the States after a mission trip elsewhere in Europe. They are staying with us, and when they are not with their friends from America, we've shown them around town.

Dalese and I have done a little playing and a lot of talking. I have really enjoyed getting to know her and I think I needed to feel a connection with someone (other than Glenn). Maybe she was an answer to a prayer I didn't realize I needed to pray. Glenn has enjoyed talking with Mick and they seem to still have plenty of things to discuss!


Mispelled sign

While walking through downtown Budapest, I was tickled when I saw this sandwich board sign outside their cafe. It appears that someone caught their mistake in the word Hungarian but didn't catch their other mistake in the word typical. Or is that the British way to spell it????



Big and beautiful buildings

While Mick and Dalese were visiting with their friends, Glenn and I walked around downtown and took a few photos for your viewing pleasure and for our photo album. Even though I have lived here now for 2 1/2 years, I am still awed by the beautiful buildings and the intricate detail in the stonework!




Watch out below!

OSHA would not be pleased with these two guys hanging from the 5th story by ropes and pullies while chipping off the loose stucco layer in preparation for a fresh coat of paint. No nets, no scaffolding. Just ropes and pullies. Oh, there was a third guy on the ground helping them too. I think his main job was to keep pedestrians from walking underneath, to keep the falling concrete from landing on them, and to call 911 in case their ropes broke.



A perfect day for a stroll in the park

We discovered a gorgeous tree-covered park today. Sidewalk cafes lined both sides of the park, one after another, for two blocks. Very picturesque.


Entering an architectural hodgepodge castle

We visited Heroes Square and the City Park, including the Castle of Vajdahunyad. Walked across the Chain Bridge to browse among the many booths selling a wide variety of traditional Hungarian-made crafts. Ate sausage and potatoes and had langos for dessert.


Dancin' in the street

We stopped to watch some young folks showcasing traditional Hungarian folk dancing. The weather was perfect today, mid-70's, but they were wearing their winter dancing outfits and had to be hot!



So, as you can see, we have practiced hospitality a lot this week and ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! Of course, we need to sit a spell and catch our breath so we can do more of it this coming week.

Have a good week!

P.S.
Did the editioner catch my "mistake"?

3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Are you talking about "Heroe's" Square? Then, yes. But it's ok, I'm not perfect - just Jonathan.

Janey said...

Looks and sounds like such fun! I love the architecture - I can't believe that there is always something new to see each week. I love my imaginary vacation at your blog each week - it is all so foreign to me.

How did the apricots turn out? Did they flash-freeze okay for you?
Thanks again for sharing you life on the blog - it is so fascinating to learn about the cultures and very exciting to see all the workers that are sharing the Gospel in Europe and Asia!
Blessings, Janey

The Massons said...

oh i'm glad we'll get to see you!! my friend with the pool is not with our company. she's an american married to a rich spaniard. :) everyone needs a friend like that!