Friday, March 12, 2010

Just a normal week...

...at the Borders home. We enjoyed having a couple from Russia that came to have a baby and renew their visas. They had the cutest little boy, Andrew, who enjoyed playing cars with Glenn.



These are the same cars that Glenn played with 25 years ago with our son Chris. They've definitely gotten some "mileage" over the years!




These 3 young ladies spent a week or two here in town too. One day we went to the discount pottery place and did a little shopping. Not me, mind you. I'm saving my forints for Polish pottery! One of these ladies returned to Russia on Thursday, one left today for the Czech Republic, and the last one leaves tomorrow for Ukraine.




Last Thursday we had a two families come from out of town for the ACSI Honors Chorus that was performing in town and out at the Christian School of Budapest; one stayed with us and the other stayed at the Eden House but we spent a lot of time with them. We spent one day sightseeing with the two families. One of the guys also worked on our computers one day.




This is Denise, one of my friends from Prague. She and her husband Scott stayed with us and we enjoyed "girl talk" while the guys did "manly things".




We did all the normal things but of course, my favorite was looking at Parliament across the Danube River.




I love this view through the arch...




...and this view through another arch.




We spent so long in town that it got dark on us! This allowed us to view Hero's Square at night, which is beautiful, isn't it?




I went to Judit's house for English conversation. Our topic for the day was baking. Chocolate chip cookies, in particular. A few weeks ago I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies, adding pecans, ground flax seeds, bran flakes, wheat germ and oatmeal, and took a bag of them to Judit, hence, the reason we were discussing cookies. Anyway, her family loved them and asked for the recipe. Gulp! I never measure so how do I help her make them like mine???




No, we didn't put nutmeg and cream of tartar in the cookies, but while I was there with Judit, her mother came down from upstairs and showed me the nutmeg and cream of tartar from her cabinet!!! What? Where did she get them? Ten years ago when she took a trip to the States! She wanted to know if they were still fresh enough to use. I don't think so.

When she also pulled out the Skippy jar, I just about flipped! Hungarians haven't discovered peanut butter yet so I knew she didn't get it here. Her mom has saved the jar all these years.

This past week our boss came to town from London. We spent most of our time talking while working on our computers at the dining room table. It was really good for us to spend the time with him, getting to know him and hearing his heart. While he was here, we were able to discuss a lot of the new changes with the educational guidelines. It was a good time and very helpful!

Yesterday it snowed all day and was beautiful. We're supposed to have snow and rain all week. We're not sure when spring is EVER going to come!

4 comments:

Pam D said...

More snow for you... wow! We are, hopefully, done with it. But now we are in the midst of "severe thunderstorm/tornado" season, and with all of the rain that we've already had, I suppose that can also now be called "flood season". Get out and play in the snow... leave those computers for a little while and play! :<)

Senegal Daily said...

I love that picture of Dad playing cars.

And your arch shots are down right artsy!

Janey said...

Great pictures, such history and beauty. I love the angles that you capture!

We had another inch of snow on Saturday to blanket all the bulb leaves that are poking up. The daffodil and tulips haven't bloomed yet, maybe a few more weeks?

But today was 65 and I took the kids for a bike ride. It was such a fast weather change, but spring is here!

lulabell said...

The peanut butter would still be okay to eat.. when I was little my mom gave me peanut and crackers at my grandmothers and as she was feeding me she started to read the label the peanut butter was 20 years old!!!