Sunday, August 15, 2010

I have homework!

This week I began a 2 week therapy training course on learning disabilities put on by the National Institute of Learning Development (Norfolk, VA) which will help me be a better educational consultant for our families in Europe. We are very fortunate that this course is being offered here in Budapest where I can stay at home and the other ladies can stay inexpensively at the Eden House. The unfortunate thing for me is that because I am staying at home, I end up doing my other work (member care and education) in addition to all the homework! (Not housework, HOMEWORK!)

The whole idea behind the NILD therapy is stimulating weak areas of the brain through various techniques, so we are learning those techniques. We are in class from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm, and then have about 4-5 hours of homework a night! Glenn has literally taken over all household responsibilities (cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, etc.) in order for me to be able to take this class. Even with all his great help, I still have to do my emails dealing with education, and that makes it rrrrreally hard to get all my homework done each night.




The course is being led by the Director of Special Services at the local Christian school here in Budapest. We have 13 participants, of whom the largest percentage are homeschooling moms who have a child with a learning disability. There are also 3 European and 2 American ladies working in English speaking schools in Hungary, Russia, Romania and Holland who want to be trained in NILD therapy. And me, an education consultant.




One of the ladies makes necklaces as a hobby and gave each of us one as a gift. We loved them so much that we asked if we could buy extras for our daughters and daughters-in-laws, so during the break, Cathy "made market", which is an African term we love from our days in Ivory Coast.




Bless Glenn's heart. He is even helping me with photocopying that needed to be done for the course!

On top of the NILD therapy training, the Stevens had to go to the States suddenly for a family medical emergency and so the Borders and the Doyles are covering the Eden House for the month they anticipate being gone. The Eden House is FULL with NILD ladies and several folks here for medical so that adds to our plate. We love doing everything we do, but when it all needs to be done at one time, it gets hard to do it as well as we would like!!

I have one more week of the training and then, well, then I will start packing for our stateside assignment. It is hard to believe we only have 2 weeks left here before heading to the States.

2 comments:

Kate Borders said...

That is a CRAZY amount of homework to do on top of being in class all day AND keeping up with your emails! Glad you only have one more week left. And glad that seeing you in October is now LESS than 2 months away!!!
Love,
Kate

Janey said...

Amazing, what a lot you have going on! I am sure that you are excited to be stateside with Kari and Jonathan - did you guys get to plan it that way or was it a Providential gift? I'll be praying for you, that is such an intense schedule - prayers that you have great health and endurance!