Sunday, April 15, 2012

It's been a full week but that's just the way I like them.   

Judit and I went walking during our time together this week.  With my normal walking partner, Janet, in the U.S. for 3 months, I've got to find other people to walk with me or I'll ... well, it's not a pretty picture what I will look like if I don't get enough exercise!



While we were walking, she took me to the school that her daughter, Nikki, attends in the afternoons.   In the morning, she has her math, English, history, Hungarian, and Science classes in downtown Budafok (about 4 kilometers away) at the local high school, but in the afternoon, she has all her textile, art and sewing classes in a school specifically designed for students who want to go into this field for a career.  Nikki is quite gifted with her hands and dabbles in several areas of art.  Above is a painting she has done that replicates the view that her family sees of a nearby Catholic church from their house each night.  It is on display at her special art school because it is so good.  My photo doesn't do it justice!


This is a vest that Nikki made for one of her sewing classes.  The brown part is made to look like the trunk of an almond tree that she made by batiking it herself (dying the fabric using a process that involves wax).  The leaves are painted on and then she embroidered over them to give them more of a textured look.  The petals are glued on but before she attached them she scorched each one to curl them to make it look like some of them were dying and ready to fall off the tree.  The final touch is the buttons!  They are made out of real almond shells from the almond tree in her backyard.  I can't imagine the number of hours she put into making this unique vest!


We had someone in from out of town to meet with us for a few days and so one afternoon we took them into town to see some sights.  The flowers are in full bloom!


The gardens around town are so beautiful.


This is actually a yard in our greater neighborhood.  I can't imagine the number of Tulips and Jonquils this family has in their yard!


Our yard has quite a few early spring flowers in bloom right now too.  


Last Sunday was Easter in Hungary because Hungary is predominantly Catholic.  (I say that because today, April 15, is Easter for those in Orthodox churches across Europe.)  
  

Judit's mom made Glenn and me these cute pound cake muffins with eggs on top.  They were so good!


Denise, one of our co-workers who lives in downtown Budapest (and who's apartment overlooks the Danube River!) and I met for coffee to discuss plans for a ladies retreat that a church in America is wanting to provide for us.  She and I are going to work on the logistics of the retreat and the ladies in America will do the rest of the planning.  :-)  

Glenn and I are heading out tomorrow for Czech Republic and Poland to visit with co-workers and friends.  We're driving instead of taking a bus, train or plane.  Hmmmm, I wonder how much Polish pottery will fit in the back of our car???  I've got my Christmas and birthday money saved up for the past year ...

No comments: