Sunday, August 12, 2012

For sale: 1 used jet???

This week Glenn and I have done a lot of walking because the weather has been soooooo agreeable.



Plums are in season and one evening we took a walk in our neighborhood to see how many plum trees we could find, particularly those NOT in peoples' yards.  Let's just say we walked and talked until we were "plum filled up", which took about 30 minutes!  



Tuesday evening we had dinner with Melissa and Scott and their daughter, Elle.  They are moving to Turkey at the end of this month so it was our chance to say good-bye.  Actually, we said, "See you in March", because we will be going to Istanbul in the spring for business and will make it a point to go see them.   In case you don't remember, Scott went to Iowa State University at the same time as Jonathan, our son-in-law, and they were in the same Bible study group. 



Wednesday, we went into town for lunch with Scott and Jo Ellen and to see their new apartment.  They used to manage the Eden House, our former S.B. guesthouse.  I love the wrought iron (take note, Kari) banister.



Even though I have been living here 5 1/2 years, I am still occasionally surprised by some of the things I see.  I don't know how long FedEx has been in Hungary, and I've seen their trucks before, but I still do a double-take when one passes.  I have to stop and ask myself which country I am in!



While out with Scott and Jo Ellen, we passed a hotel that had some bikes out front to rent.  This is something I am starting to see more and more.   However, just because rental bikes are showing up, it doesn't mean it is a good idea!  The traffic in downtown is horrendous and there are cars and pedestrians (and tourists who aren't always looking down where they are walking!), and now bikes everywhere!



And, of course, I had to have ONE MORE photo of us in front of the Parliament building!  



I have been working on my fresh pizza dough recipe and think I'm getting the hang of it, finally.  We love fresh pizza but it takes so long to make!   I use pepperoni, thin slices of spicy salami sticks, ground sausage, chopped red, yellow and green peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, and jalepenos.  If anyone has any suggestions as to how to reduce the amount of time to make homemade pizza-other than reducing the number of toppings-I'd be open to your suggestions.   



When we ate at Melissa and Scott's earlier in the week, Melissa fixed this great chicken salad dish that Glenn wanted to replicate.  By time he finished, the only thing her salad and his salad had in common was the chicken, I think!  He started with a ton of green onions ... but then I suggested he not put all the onions in until he mixed everything else together to see if it needed more onions.  That was good advice.  That was some pile of onions!



This is his finished chicken salad.  It was quite good, but not much similarity to Melissa's.  Instead of chicken and rice base, he used chicken and Mediterranean couscous and he added chopped green onion, squash, red peppers, hot peppers, carrots, broccoli, olive oil and wine vinegar to taste.  I think we'll be eating it for the next 3 days.  



Sunday, we took a 2 hour walk through the woods, down to the lake near our house, and then back up through a ritzy neighborhood.



Lot's of families were outside enjoying the beautiful day, fishing in the lake.



As we were walking back, we passed this used car lot.  You probably can't read it, but the name of the business is called Auto Elegance.  They sell used cars ...



...  used motorcycles ...



... and used jets!  No joke!



Now, how often do you see that in America???  This is just one more reason why you need to come visit us in Budapest!



5 comments:

Pam D said...

I definitely cannot let Adam know that he can buy a used fighter jet. He would be on the first flight over to Hungary!!! Ha! As far as FedEx goes, I worked for them from 1987 til Adam was born in 2000. I'm pretty sure that we serviced Hungary the entire time; we had a pretty robust international business going by 1987 and increased it dramatically around 1990 when we purchased Flying Tigers. Finally, for pizza... would it make sense to make a double batch of dough and freeze half before it rises? I don't know how long it would be able to stay frozen, but I know I can buy frozen bread dough here. And Publix has fresh pizza dough; I'm pretty sure that it has directions for how to freeze it, thaw it, and let it rise. If all you had to do was put the dough in the fridge the day before you used it, then take it out an hour ahead of time to rise, all you'd have to do then would be to prep the ingredients (and once again, with the meats, could you pre-slice and freeze? Probably wouldn't want to do that with the veggies), roll out the dough, and make the pizza. At least every OTHER pizza would take less time! xoxox... we love and miss you..

Pam D said...

I found this thread on freezing dough(it contains a lot of conflicting info, so you'll just have to "sift through" and see how you want to do it): http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/5100/freezing-bread-dough-bake-later

Pam D said...

Oh heck.. here's one for just pizza dough that sounds GREAT.. it makes EIGHT crusts! Now that's a time saver right there!!! http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,148163-225198,00.html

Erin said...

Brad thinks your pizza sounds pretty perfect. I think he wants to drop by for a slice. :)

Micheal Alexander said...

Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Plum Trees for Sale