Sunday, February 10, 2013

We've got our own Nemo!


We spent the early part of the week visiting one of our TCK's (third culture kids) at a local hospital who was here in Budapest for surgery.  Brooke is such a sweet girl and she did beautifully!  She was so brave.  It can be scary to be in a foreign country, to not know the language and the way they do things (particularly if they are pretty different from what you are used to), but she took it all in stride.  



It started snowing teeny tiny flakes on Saturday morning and has continued all day today, and it is now Sunday evening.  The weather report says it is supposed to continue snowing until about midnight.  I hope it keeps on snowing through tomorrow evening!

Here, it is measuring 4 inches.



Our duplex.  We're on the left side.



About 3:30 pm today, Glenn and I bundled up and took a walk through our neighborhood out to the wooded park about a mile from our house.   We happened upon a grandpa who stopped his car on his way home to throw a couple of snow balls with some kids in the neighborhood.



Each view was more beautiful than the last.



We came across these kids buckling on pairs of sled shoes.  (I'm not sure what they are really called. Never seen anything like them before.)  They are basically oval frisbees with two straps over the arches.



You bend over slightly and slide down the hill sideways, and it only takes a thin layer of snow.  It looked somewhat difficult and very unsafe to me.  All it would take would be to come across a manhole or a break in the pavement to make you go flying head first!



This guy made it about 30 feet before he lost his balance and fell.  Ouch.  It hurt me just to watch him!



We tried to find as many alleyways  that hadn't been traipsed through. 



We made it out to the woods and enjoyed walking in the quietness until I slipped big-time going down a hill.  I think I heard every bone in my neck and back crack.  I really thought I'd be in pain but nothing but a slight headache.  We'll see how I feel in the morning.    :-)



We walked until it started to get dark and then we headed home.  It was beautiful to stand on the hill side and watch the house and street lights come on in our neighborhood.  Twinkle, twinkle, little lights, oh, how beautiful from this height.






3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

It is beautiful, but ouch! How are you feeling now?

Tee and Hubby said...

Tamara and Wes Banks said to tell you hello. He grew up in our church and spoke tonight about the work they are doing here in the US.

Barbara Guidetti said...

Beautiful post, Cile. We've had lots of snow in NJ, it never looks quite that nice. Hope you're feeling ok, I fell a couple of weeks ago, broke my glasses and got a black eye... thank God, all is well.