Saturday, April 12, 2014

For the first time in 34 years ...


Glenn did something he hasn't done since before Kari was born.  Last week he commented that his beard was more salt than pepper, and wondered if he would look even younger (my words, not his, but definitely his thoughts) without the salt on his face so he decided to shave his beard and mustache off.  He did this the day we flew to Senegal, figuring that if he (or I) didn't like it, he would have the month while we're gone to grow it back in.



He was bound to look younger because, let's face it, he has only about 10 gray hairs on that head of his, and the gray in his beard was definitely sending mixed messages about his age.



So this is stage one.  No, he didn't even consider leaving it like this.   Kari said it makes him look Hungarian, but that's not why he chose to shave off the mustache.



So, what do you think?  Does he look like himself?  Does he look younger?


Which do you prefer?  (Not that your vote will change anything, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.)

This ... ?


... or this?

I admit, it's been an adjustment for me, and harder than I expected.  It just doesn't look like Glenn.  Maybe once he gets a little sun on his upper lip and on his chin, it will look more like him ...
Maybe.



We are now in Senegal and loving every minute of our time with Kari's family.  The weather is surprisingly cool, with temperatures fluctuating between 68 in the early morning hours to the high of 73 in the mid-afternoon.  Can you believe it???  We never had cool weather like this in Ivory Coast!  I  didn't pack enough long sleeve shirts!

Kari looks great, doesn't she?  She's straight out front, and feels great.  She will go to the hospital on Tuesday morning for an 8 am delivery.  We'll update with pictures as soon as possible thereafter, so come back on Tuesday evening, or Wednesday morning for the news of the arrival of Baby Girl Masson!

By the way, Kari and Jonathan have finally, just this week, decided on a name for her, but they aren't telling anyone until she is born.  Doesn't really matter when they decide; they could still change it before the baby is born or even afterward, up until they have to give the name for the birth certificate.  Glenn and I had selected our son's name well before the day of his birth, but while I was in labor we decided to change the name from Matthew Minor to Christopher Glenn.  (Minor is a Borders' family name.)  I love the name Christopher Glenn, so it was a wise decision.  



And this is Alec.  He has changed so much in the past four months since we saw him at Christmas!  



However, some things haven't changed!  He still likes to look through my ditty bag and play with my make-up!  Can you see the streak of mascara down the right side of his face???  Sometimes I'm just not quick enough!



Caught in the act!  We brought Alec a pail and shovel set from Ikea (upon his mother's request), and I foolishly thought they were for playing in the sand at the beach.  Yesterday, I caught Alec out on the balcony, digging the dirt out of the large planter (behind him) and dumping in into a pile on his feet.  The glee on his face as he played in the dirt made cleaning it up soooo worth it!



I went with Kari as she took Alec to his Toddler Songs class down the street, led by one of her friends.  There were a dozen to fifteen children 18 months to 3 years of age, each with their mother or nounou (African childcare helper), singing, marching, waving scarves, dancing, and making hand motions to the various children's songs.  It was quite impressive to see so many families from different nationalities, making and taking opportunities to give their children varied experiences.  These children may be missing seeing grandma and grandpa who live on other continents around the world, but they aren't lacking for social and developmental activities because of living in Senegal.  



We had the great pleasure of reconnecting last night with some friends of ours from our days in Ivory Coast, way back in the 80's.  Daryl and Glenda now live in Mali, but were in Dakar for a meeting, much like the ones Glenn and I are always attending!  They haven't changed a bit, and we enjoyed our time with them as much last night as we did all those years ago.  

I'll close here but will be back in 2-3 days with some pictures of our new granddaughter and her big brother, Alec!  Please pray for a safe birth and a healthy baby.  Pray for mom, too!  Oh, we brought Baby Girl Masson a warm, soft, pink, fuzzy blanket from Budapest.  Today, Alec asked if he could sleep with it at nap time, and I told him that I didn't think his baby sister would mind sharing it with him.  He promptly told me, "Baby sister share with me."  It was so cute to hear him refer to her as his baby sister!  Awwww!

3 comments:

Tommy Jones said...

I'm with you Cile, it would take getting used to. David grew his mustache right after we got married and has had it since then, there would definitely be an adjustment period after 37 years for me! I think Glenn looks more like his dad with the shave. That's not a bad thing, just different. How's that for being politically correct? ;-) Looking forward to the pictures of baby girl Masson.

Helen said...

Cile, the last comment was not from Tommy but from me (Helen). I didn't realize that Tommy was signed in on my computer until I published my comment. Oops. This should come from me this time but just in case at least you know who it's from now. :-)

Kate Borders said...

He definitely looks younger....but I don't know if it looks like him? :) So glad you guys are having such a good time!!!