Sunday, May 13, 2007

Summer is not yet here but the tourists are!

What a week we have had! First, let me back up to the previous week and just mention one thing that Glenn and I had that was a special treat.

Of all the "stuff" I bought while in the U.S. for the education conference, one of the most treasured was this bag of Fritos. I wanted to protect it, so I carried it back in my carry-on to make sure it made it and to make sure it didn't get crushed. We thoroughly enjoyed having Taco Salad or as my family calls it, Round Robin. Glenn's family calls it Beef Ole'. What ever you want to call it, it was yummy!


The Lord's Supper

The second thing I want to mention is that we had the Lord's Supper last Sunday at Church. I was struck by how similar the pastor at our church carried out the ordinance as our pastors in the U.S. do, even down to the little plastic cups. It was so close to the way we do it in America that I wondered if the Hungarian pastor had gone to America and participated in the Lord's Supper there! The only difference is that we use real wine here, and it burns as it goes down.


A Meeting of the Geeks

Our supervisor and his wife, Lynn and Glenda, arrived from the Czech Republic on Sunday night and stayed with us until Wednesday morning. It was great to have them, get to know them and learn more about our jobs! Mainly, Glenn and Lynn talked business while Glenda and I talked and shopped!


It's either Greek or Hungarian to me!

Many of you are asking about our language learning. Well, let's just say we're not there yet, and it may be awhile. I know you don't believe me when I say Hungarian is one of the most difficult languages to learn. I can hear your thoughts: "Yeah, yeah, they're just not studying hard enough..." Well, this sign is just way beyond our language abilities! They add prefixes and suffixes to their root words to make a new word or thought, and there are sooooo many exceptions that you might as well not learn the rule! You just have to memorize the list of exceptions! So, you can keep praying for our language skills!



What is this supposed to mean?

Not only do we have trouble with their written words, but we have trouble understanding their signs too! What does this mean? No old men with young children allowed here? Don't hold children's hands as they are walking? This is not an area for walking young children? Your guess is as good as ours!


Glenn, Cile, Abby and Chloe
Today is Mother's Day in America. I heard from both of my children, which was really nice. Chris sent me a really neat card that had a picture of a mom driving a mini van with a couple of children in it, and the mini van had flames on the front hood! It really brought back wonderful memories of Chris and all his cars parked in our yard, and all the flames he painted on his cars, motorcycle helmets, and even his uncle's lawn mower!! I also talked with him today too. Kari and I talked Saturday because she was going to be away from their house most of today, but she skyped me her Mother's Day wishes this morning before church.

After church today, we went into downtown Budapest with some friends of ours, Brad and Karen, and their two little girls, Abby and Chloe. We made a day of it. We ate lunch on Vaci Utca (Vaci Street) and then walked through the City Park.

Vaci Street-famous pedestrian street


And his mother told him not to play at the table!

The weather is beautiful and the tourists are out in full swing! I can't imagine how crowded it will be when tourist season is in full swing!


Ice cream AND cotton candy????

Lest you think all we do is party and go into town, Glenn has been working on a survey about member care needs that has now been distributed to all of our missionaries (Brad helped him with the technical side of it) and I have been gathering information about education in our part of the world from our missionaries and am going to be making a proposal to our regional leadership team. A good portion of our work this past week has been on the computer, which, fortunately, seems to be working 95 % of the time! We are also working on some details that pertain to our next annual meeting for the other half of our missionaries that will place the end of June. Busy, busy, busy, but we love it!






2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Hey!! We saw a National Geographic video about the glass harp in Czech, like that guy in your picture.

Your Fritos look delicious! I had gotten my hoped up from the photo that we could buy them there...but I guess not everything can be found in Budapest. ;)

Y'all have a great week!

Love, K

Pam D said...

Somehow, I have a feeling that Kari will figure out how to take ground corn and whatever other ingredients she can rustle up and make her OWN Fritos! She seems to be pretty crafty that way. I remember doing the round robin at your house and it WAS delicious; what a group meal it would be for you there... IF YOU ONLY HAD FRITOS! We keep praying for you, and I always remember to pray for your language skills. Now I'll pray that there will be a "Frito awakening" in Europe... :<)
Love,
Pam (and Adam)