Sunday, August 19, 2007

Honoring Saint Stephen

This week has flown by, and speaking of flying, Glenn flies to Idaho tomorrow morning for two weeks of security training. I will keep the guest house full and running smoothly until Friday when I fly the coop too and go see Kari and Jonathan for a short week in Lyon, France. Since arriving 7 months ago, we have not taken but a few vacation days so while Glenn is out camping in the wilderness, I will be "working" from Kari's apartment.


New-found favorite restaurant!

Glenn and I had to take care of some business at the Budapest International Airport (!) this week and I spotted a Sbarro pizza place in the food court. I wondered if their pizza was as good as the one at Town Center mall. Fortunately, it was just as good. Unfortunately, one slice of pizza and a small bottle of Coke was $8! Oh well, maybe we can go there for special occasions. Oh, wait! I fly out of that same airport next Friday in the afternoon, so maybe I can just plan to eat lunch there! Going to see Kari and Jonathan is a special occasion, isn't it?


Not quite as big as the Atlanta airport!


This is the lobby of terminal 2

Actually, there are two terminals. Terminal 2 is for regular airlines going to all these different exotic places, and terminal 1 is for the discount carriers such as Wizz Air (you may remember the pink Barbie plane) going to nearby countries.



I watched a couple of children for a friend who was at a doctor's appointment, so I took them to a another friends' house to swim. The view is gorgeous from their yard as it overlooks downtown Budapest. It was really nice to cool off--the temperature was in the mid 90's.


She says it's not Krispy Kreme, but it's pretty close!

Of course, the longer you are away from Krispy Kreme, the more it tastes like it. I haven't been away long enough even to try it! Shelia has been in the guest house for over a week )and away from America for 4 years) and still has another week or two until she leaves. I think I am going to "deputize" her so she can run the guest house for me while I go to France.

Well, it's now grape season. Our grapes are ready to pick off the vines that are growing on the side of our carport. I love grapes, and these remind me of when I was in middle school, living in Germany, and our family was vacationing in a VW camper as we traveled across Europe. When we arrived in Italy, it was grape season. My parents bought a 5 kilo case of grapes(that's over 10 pounds!) for the four of us kids to snack on in the back of the camper! I stuffed myself, and that is what I am doing now with our grapes!


First apple from our new Golden Delicous tree

It's also apple season for the early varieties. Glenn and I both love apples and I enjoy making homemade applesauce to freeze for the winter months. Glenn bought me a small apple tree for my birthday in June, and it has (had) 12 little apples on it that are now full size. I have eaten 3 of them already, and I told Glenn he better eat one tomorrow morning for breakfast before he leaves for Idaho because I couldn't promise there would be any left when he returns!

I don't think I will have enough apples on our tree this year to make applesauce for the winter.


See Glenn in the middle of the line in the blue shirt?

The whole population of Hungary lined up to catch the buses that go to the top of the hill where there is a huge castle overlooking the Danube River. Why?




This weekend begins the biggest celebration in Hungary. We are honoring King Saint Stephen for bringing Hungary together and introducing the country to Christianity. I'm not sure if he was King before he was given sainthood or vice versa. Anyway, we have heard about this celebration ever since arriving. Monday is the official holiday, but the festivities actually started the Friday before. A gazillion Hungarians throughout the country and all the tourists in town go up to Castle Hill to brouse among several hundred booths selling authenic Hungarian art and crafts. On Monday, there will be an air show over the Danube as planes fly in formation, do spirals and even fly under the Chain Bridge (Lanchid). In the evening there will be the largest fireworks display I will ever see, or so they all say. Since Glenn will be gone by then, I am going with friends.


It was crowded, to say the least.

We enjoyed seeing all the different kinds of Hungarian folkart, and especially enjoyed a typical Hungarian lunch of sausage and potatoes!!!

Handblown and handpainted eggs

Massive furniture!

Beautiful handmade baskets


Hungarian dancers from around the country performed all day
Children learn the old fashion way of making paper

One of the different things about this festival that celebrates the history of Hungary is the way they not only sell handmade crafts, but they also teach everyone else how to make them! The craftmen (or craftladies) make things right there in their booths or next to it. Many had tables set up where the children could try their hands at it too!

Learning how to make wicker items


Making their own pottery

Glenn joins in the fun just long enough for me to take the picture!

Well, it's been a busy week. The guest house continues to take up most of my time, but I am enjoying it. This week we will be almost full again with 6 out of the 8 rooms full. Next week, I may show you pictures of me doing laundry!

Continue praying about someone to come run the Eden House long-term. We hope to hear this week that a couple has been approved by the Board and will go to ILC from October through December, and arrive in Budapest in January. As much as we enjoy taking care of the Eden House and our missionaries as they come, we know this is not what we came to do as our primary ministry. As much as we'd like someone to come quickly to take over, we want it to be the right couple so please pray with us!

Pray for Glenn as he goes to Idaho for two weeks. Pray that we don't have any more folks needing medical care next week so that I can go to France and not worry about them! Continue to pray for our language skills. Believe it or not, it has been hard to focus on language with all the other responsibilities we have.

Have a good week!







1 comment:

Stephen and Beth Borders said...

Wow, has it really been 7 months?? Time does fly. Jackson is already 1 month old!! Love all the pictures, as usual. Have a nice week.