Friday, October 05, 2007

Jo het vegete!

Well, here I go, updating again! Please don't expect me to do this on a regular basis! It's just that I can do this while we watch a little TV, which we are often doing at night while Pop and Emogene are visiting us.


XXL Don Pepe's Pizza (extra, extra large)

I was really proud of myself on Wednesday when I ordered a pizza from our food court! Unfortunately, I couldn't understand 90% of what she said when she repeated the order back to me, which might explain why the pizza we got was not exactly as I had intended. I thought I had ordered an XXL pizza with pepperoni (which is called salami here), mushrooms and extra cheese. What we got was an XXL pepperoni with mushrooms on half of it, and I couldn't tell that there was any extra cheese anywhere on it! Oh well. At least I got a pepperoni pizza!



We've made a couple of trips to the grocery store (well, we've got to eat!). Emogene loves riding the escalators. Ours here don't have steps on them, but are inclined moving sidewalks!



Yesterday, we went to Statue Park. When communism fell, the government gathered all the memorials and statues honoring communist leaders from across the city and placed them in a park on the outskirts of town near our house. The booklet that Glenn and Emogene are reading from tells about the statues, and explains that this park is not commemorating communism, but rather, the fall of communism.

Around lunchtime today, Emogene asked Pop as he was walking through the dining room what he wanted to drink with his meal, but she got no response. She asked him again. No response. Emogene and I looked at each other in surprise. I became concerned that something was wrong with Pop....



until I noticed that he had the ear plugs to his MP3 player in his ears! He was totally oblivious to the fact that Emogene had been talking to him, and he reminded us of teenagers who tune out the world!



A little later in the afternoon, I came downstairs and found Pop and Emogene in the kitchen dancing together! Pop had one ear plug and Emogene had the other, listening to the MP3 player and dancing to Lorrie Morgan singing A Picture of Me Without You. They were really cute, and talk about totally oblivious to the world!



We've worked so hard (well, Glenn has worked so hard) to get a beautiful lawn, and it just killed us to have to dig some of it up today, but it will be totally worth it next spring when we can eat fresh pears off our new tree, compliments of Pop!


I'm hoping Pop and Emogene will come back out next summer when the tree is producing yummy pears.



I'll even learn how to make pear preserves for him, if he'll come get them!


Emogene enjoys some grapes off the vine while we watch Glenn work


It was sooooo exhausting watching Glenn work in the yard!

Tomorrow morning we are getting up early (I've been getting up about 9:00 so 8:00 will be "early") and going to "catch public" just for the experience of it. We're going into town to the Grand Market Hall where they have one floor with many, many booths where one can buy fresh fruits, veggies and meat. They also have one floor where they sell touristy items, and the bottom floor has an Asian market where I can buy Orville Reddenbacher popcorn! We are going to eat lunch there because they sell authentic Hungarian food for all the patrons and employees, and it's cheap!
Wish everyone was here with us. We're having a great time, and Pop and Emogene are behaving themselves.





No comments: