Monday, January 05, 2009

Up and Running! PTL!!

This past week has been very slow. Well, at least we have! Glenn and I have been swapping germs back and forth and alternating days in which we haven't felt very good. Fortunately, the weather has been frightfully cold and has made it easy for us to stay inside and lay low.



Two nights in a row the fog rolled in and then froze on the trees. It looked like snow, but it didn't have any slush on the roads!



Our house looked beautiful and the yard looked like a winter wonderland!



But this yard next to ours was even more spectacular! We still haven't had any snow to speak of so I'm disappointed but I know the winter is not over yet!



While we were laying low, Glenn spent a lot of time in front of the fireplace working on a puzzle of the Chain Bridge in Budapest while I watched a lot of T.V. and read a book! It was very relaxing.



On New Year's Eve we went to the Doyles for lunch with several other families and then an afternoon of games (Mexican Train).



Some of the group decided the cold afternoon with the warm fellowship and full stomachs made for perfect napping. (Names withheld to protect the guilty.)



Then Glenn had a relapse and spent the evening on our couch while I went on to the next party! I couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy the Mexican potluck at the Brown's that night!!!



I got home about 10 pm and then Glenn and I spent the rest of the evening watching a movie and watching the fireworks out our front window! Unlike America, the Hungarians will shoot fireworks on holidays beginning when the sun goes down so we didn't have to wait until midnight to see the fireworks light up the sky. However, the minutes around midnight were the VERY BEST, and standing on our balcony, we could see about 7 different places where fireworks were being set off. Cool!!!



Once I got over the worst of my sickness, Janet and I picked back up our daily walk. With long johns and long sleeve undershirts, sweat pants and sweat shirts, and ear muffs and a hat, we stay pretty warm, walking an hour and 15 minutes/ 5 days a week. We can walk as long as there isn't any ice. Once the snow and ice come, it's back to our walk-aerobic DVD again!



And even though Christmas is over and the new year has begun, the presents still keep coming! Glenn got this really neat wool hat that can be folded, wadded, and stuffed in a pocket in the mail today from Chris and Kate, and I might add, he looks pretty sharp in it!!!


We head out on Wednesday to visit folks in Serbia, Macedonia and Bulgaria for the next two weeks so our computer time will be very limited. I'll try to update at some point though during our trip. Please pray for traveling mercies! We're going to be riding on that bus again in Serbia where the driver kept passing on a hill, and I have dreaded the thought of doing it again since then!!

We hope everyone had a great Christmas and that 2009 will bring you many blessings. As I look toward the new year, setting goals and making resolutions, I am thankful for second chances. I am thankful that Christ gave me a second chance to spend eternity with my heavenly (and earthly!) Father when He chose to die upon that cross IN MY PLACE. I am humbled that He loves me, chose me, and called me. How can I say anything but YES!

4 comments:

Paul J. said...

We need to figure out a way to come visit y'all....

Senegal Daily said...

That is one cool hat. He looks like Indiana Jones. :)

Folded, wadded and stuffed, eh? What about sat on (by an un-named party) for part of a 30-day trip out West?

Thanks for letting us know about the bus ride so we can pray - I completely understand your fear!

Love, K

Stephen and Beth Borders said...

I love the pictures...we have been swapping the bugs around here as well!!

The Beasley Family said...

Hi Cile! It's Valerie Beasley from Prague. I have a high school friend who is living in Budapest (going to medical school, I think) and she can't find baking soda. Do you know what it's called there and where to find it? Thanks! beasley1010@gmail.com