Monday, May 18, 2009

Bye, Bye, Birdie!

Glenn and I went on a date on Friday night. He took me to a play that was being put on by high school students at a school that some of our mk's (missionary kids) attend, the International Christian School of Budapest or ICSB, for short.



The students did a great job! The name of it was Bye, Bye, Birdie!


That's Conrad Birdie in the gold lame' shirt

I remember watching the movie on TV when I was about 1o or 11 and loved it. That was back in the days of the Elvis Presley movies where boy meets girl, boy does something dumb, girl dumps boy, and then boy wins her back.



This play is a little different in that girl has boyfriend, manager wants one last publicity stunt before singer goes into army, singer kisses girl, boyfriend punches out singer, and girl swoons over boyfriend. Ah, the things that make life interesting.




And the young man with his arms up are why we went to see the play in the first place. He is one of our quietest MK's, and we saw a totally different side of him than we've ever seen before!



Saturday we drove out to Szentendre, a small tourist village (I've written about on here several times), to shop for a gift for a friend. Everyone was in Szentendre. It is not a big town, and every available parking spot was filled.




People were walking along the rivers' edge and enjoying the warmth of the sun's rays, and the man in the yellow shorts wanted to soak up more than his fair share of them! Do people do stuff like this in America? Have I been away so long that I forget that American's walk around in public half covered? Glenn and I were walking in our neighborhood last week and saw a woman about 30 years old wearing a tee shirt and thong underwear. Nothing else. Oh, except flip flops. She was weeding her yard in plain view. Does this happen in America too? Please tell me it is a Hungarian thing only.



I bought a traditional Hungarian outfit for when we speak about missions during our stateside assignment (formerly called furlough). Not that I'm ready for our next assignment, but I want to be ready when the time comes! Maybe I will show you a picture of it in our next blog update.


Speaking of the next blog update...I will update sometime later this week before we leave for Israel on Friday because I will not be taking my computer with me. We will be gone May 22-31. God has blessed us with this incredible trip and we are overwhelmed with the gift! We will be the guests of a college friend of Glenn's who takes 25-30 of his law students to Israel for 3 weeks; we will only be able to join them for 9 days. I'm thankful for those 9 days!!!


I must confess, in this world of technology and instant access via phones and computers, I am going to feel lost without my computer and easy access to the outer world. I just didn't realize how "connected" I am to my computer until I realized what I won't be able to do while on this trip!!! I won't be able to check emails, skype my Dad and kids, read my favorite blogs, nor do my own blog update! I hope I remember how to relax on this vacation!

2 comments:

Pam D said...

Oh, I remember that movie, too! I remember the "Bye Bye Birdie" song, but I didn't remember the plot. How fun to see kids you know stepping outside of their "normal" and showing a different side of themselves. As for the yellow shorts and the thong, I suppose it would depend on where you are in the U.S. as to whether you'd see that or not. Not so much around here, and definitely more likely to see the man than a lady in thong undies. Yuk. TMI!!!! Have a wonderful, beautiful time in Israel, and take lots of pictures. Visit my friend Becky's Caringbridge site and go back through her journal for some great pictures taken by her son Nathan over there a couple of months ago: www.caringbridge.org/nc/sarahsmith

Ivy and Haley said...

Great play. I absolutely ADORE live theater, so it's great that you are supporting it. Bravo.

I also loved what you wrote on post secret, about no regrets. So true!

Come visit our blog! And comment please, we love comments :)
http://ivyandhaley.blogspot.com

Ivy