Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Today is Mother's Day in America and as we recognize and honor the important role that our mothers have in our lives, I can't help but reminisce about my own wonderful mother who passed away in 1995. Corrie was what she was called by her friends, but she was lovingly called Pooh by my Dad and Mom by me. My mother was a believer in Jesus Christ and was actively involved in her local church, no matter where my Dad's military life took them. I remember a lot about my mom, but one of the things I most respect her for was that she would never talk about anyone in an unkind way. If she couldn't say it to your face, she wouldn't say it behind your back. She had a lot of qualities I admire and would do well to emulate today! I miss my mom but look forward to the day when she and I are singing in that heavenly choir (neither one of us has a good voice on this earth, and both of us are looking forward to that heavenly body with curly hair and a good voice.)




To every mother, we wish a Happy Mother's Day!


The first strawberries are showing


You can tell how our week has been by the first couple of pictures I put on the blog. If it has been a calm week, you get some mundane pictures showing the progress of our fruit. Actually, even if we had a busy week, you might get pictures of fruit because it is such an important part of who Glenn and I are and what we like to do! Glenn and I love working in our yard and it is one of the most beneficial forms of stress relief. Beneficial because we get to eat the rewards of our labor and helps keep us sane! I hope you have a hobby that helps you unwind.


Cobblestone street

Another thing that Glenn and I enjoy is walking. I could walk for 2-3 hours if I could find someone to walk with me. I'm a social walker much like others are social drinkers; they don't drink unless they are around others who are drinking. (I don't drink, except for the Lord's Supper, that is!) I don't walk unless I've got someone to walk with me. Did you know that exercise is also good for stress?


Mega-size wine press



As Glenn and I were walking this week in Budafok, we came across this wine press in someone's driveway. I sure hope they sell the wine they make rather than try to drink it all themselves!


My favorite past time-car shows!

On Saturday, Glenn and I spent most of the day with Mary and Alvin. They picked us up at 7:15 am for the first leg of our outing. YOU KNOW IT HAS TO BE SOMETHING GOOD FOR ME TO GET UP AT 6:45 AM ON A SATURDAY! We headed into town to the annual American Embassy garage sale and auction. How disappointing! When we got there, there was no sale; only furniture for auction! We didn't need any so we went to the local Christian school garage sale to see what goodies we could find that we don't really need.



At their garage sale we bought nickel and dime stuff. Several puzzles, books, a suit for Glenn, stuff like that. By now it is about 10 am, so we headed to Ikea for breakfast. (Darrin and Kesha taught us about Ikea's breakfast!) When we drove into the parking lot, we could see the beginnings of a car show! Only, these cars were convertibles!



Most of the cars were new cars, and there were only about 20 of them when we first got there. Sure made me think of our son Chris and all the car shows we went to when he was a teenager. Do you believe I miss them?



This red Farrari was Glenn's favorite. I think Mary liked it best too.



The motor in the Ferrari was located in the trunk and was visible through glass. Cool!

Well, after all that excitement, we headed to Metro, which is the European version of Sam's in America, only here things aren't any cheaper if you buy them in bulk! The only advantage to shopping at Metro is that things do come in bulk and you don't have to buy 20 packages of napkins with 20 in each package. Instead, at Metro you can buy a package of napkins with 250 in it!!!! What a concept!

After Metro, we stopped by Aldi on our way home. (There is an Aldi in Marietta on Powder Springs Road.) Boy, are we wild! Lest you think we have lost our minds, the purpose of going to Aldi was to buy some different brands that we can't generally get at our Tesco.



And when we got home and unloaded our "loot", we found the strangest thing in our mailbox. An advertisement for McDonald's with coupons!!! We've never seen advertisements for McDonald's since arriving, other than signs on the road indicating one up ahead in the next block. And fast food coupons??? Wow!



Today is Sunday and we were blessed by the testimony and baptism of Geza, a young man in our church.


After church we hung around and talked with a couple of people. This is fairly new for us because usually we head right out the door since we can't speak the language. I guess folks are getting used to us being there and they are becoming more comfortable in trying their English with us. One of the men told us today that there are actually a lot of people in the church who speak English. Do you think it would be okay if next Sunday I stand up and ask, "Would everyone that speaks English, please meet us outside the sanctuary after worship"?

This young man is Andras. He does a great job translating for us and we have grown really fond of him. (He came to Sunday dinner at our house a couple of months ago.) His younger brother David accepted Christ two weeks ago at a youth camp and gave a brief testimony at church about it this morning. Really, really neat time of worship today!

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Hi Mom

The plants sound like a nice, relaxing escape. Glad to hear you guys are chillin' a bit.

Happy Mother's Day!!

Love, K

Janey said...

Love the strawberries! I think that it is fun to see the seasonal things growing in your area and contrast it to the states.

I noticed this week that our cherry tree has cherries formed and starting to grow - very exciting!

I am so happy for you to have made a connection at your church, I hope that there will be many more people that will "speak" with you.

Also, I love the coupons, I had never thought about that being just an American thing. But it does seem quite obvious to me now.
take care and blessings,
Janey