Saturday, August 29, 2009

I'm packin' it in!

No, I'm not giving up and throwing in the towel! (We still love it here.) Glenn and I are going camping this weekend and I am too old to sleep on the ground and not feel sore for the next week so I am packing everything in our car to make sure I am comfortable while out in the woods!





We are going camping for 3 nights in the northern part of Czech Republic with two of our families who work there so Glenn went out and bought a mega travel map book to make sure we could get there. We have not done much driving outside of Budapest since we usually take trains, planes or buses for our travels so we are definitely driving outside our "comfort zone"! Don't you think a GPS would make a nice Christmas present for Glenn???





Before leaving our house, we harvested our grapes from the vines and picked the last of our apples from our Golden Delicious tree. (We still have a pear tree and another kind of apple tree that are not yet ripe. Our strawberries are STILL producing (since MAY!) and our blackberries are just now beginning to come in.)





We drove 3 hours up to Brno (I'd like to buy a vowel, please!) in the southeast part of Czech Republic and met up with the Youngs, the family with whom we are spending our first night, at this parking lot for the Haribo company. Do you recognize the logo? It is for the gummi bears that I used to eat when I was in middle school and lived in Germany!!! Gummi bears have been one of my favorite memories from living in Germany, and I was thrilled when they showed up in America at Wal-mart!





This car was parked in the parking lot of the Haribo company. As much as I love gummi bears, I don't think I could drive this car myself. Not in public anyway.





And news from Budapest:
Crushed ice has arrived in BP! Our local Kentucky Fried Chicken now sells soft drinks with crushed ice. On top of that, they have a fountain where you serve yourself and there are free refills!!!!!

Honestly, I see more and more things "like in America" the longer we are here. In the grocery store, we can now buy things in bulk, which is wild because earlier we could not buy anything in a decent size. As time passes, the sizes get bigger and bigger.


Well, we head out in the morning to go camping so next weeks' blog will have pictures of our days in the woods with the Youngs and Johnsons. After our time in the woods, we will spend a day or two with the Johnsons in their town, and then visit with a few of our families on our way back to BP. We get back home next Friday evening.


My dad will celebrate his birthday this week while we are out camping so I want to wish him a very happy birthday a little early since I won't be able to call him on the 4th. I hope he has a great day and knows that I love him.



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, POP!

3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Y'all have fun! Don't come back with too many stories resulting from not having a GPS ;)

Unknown said...

Just recently I was looking at pictures from our Thanksgiving weekend camping trip back in...2005! Made me really miss you guys...

Can't wait to see the pics of this trip - have fun and don't get too sore :)

Janey said...

The grapes look beautiful! And how interesting that ice is becoming available. I sure hope that the processed, packaged, prepared diet of the average American doesn't become the European-way. Europeans seem so much healthier than Americans!

Hope that camping was fun, it seems strange to think of European camping.
-Janey