Sunday, November 29, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Early on Wednesday morning my Dad (lovingly called Pop), Emogene (my sister's mother-in-law, our long-time family friend and my Dad's next door neighbor) and I headed out in Emogene's car for Columbia, S.C. for Thanksgiving with my other sister's family while Glenn and his parents climbed into their car and headed to North Augusta, S.C.. Glenn dropped his parents off at his sister's house to spend the holidays with them, and then he drove the extra hour up to my sister's house to join us for holidays.




Pop and Emogene




My memory doesn't work well but there are some things I remember REALLY well, like where the Krispy Kreme stores are located! I remember years ago stopping in Augusta on my way to my sister's house at a Krispy Kreme and, lo and behold, I remembered the correct exit. Pop and Emogene love donuts almost as much as me so they were willing to stop long enough to grab 2 dozen to share at the Heinzelmann's house!




When I arrived, my niece Corrie gave me a big hug as a gift from our daughter Kari! So cool!




My niece's are both beautiful girls, inside and out!




I helped my sister Karin to decorate her Christmas tree and then she enjoyed posing under the tree just like a model!




Husband Eric carved a perfectly roasted turkey.



We enjoyed a great meal with all of our favorites!




Some of us had dessert at the table and one of us had it in the kitchen a little later. Karin didn't want Morgan to dirty another dish???




On Black Friday, Karin and I left the house at 4:30 am and went to Walmart which had opened at midnight. We wanted to be there by 5:00 am when the sale prices went into effect. We were overwhelmed by the sight of lines from the cash registers practically to the back of the store, and every cart was piled to overflowing. NOTHING in the store was worth standing in line for 2 hours!


We then went back to the house to pick up Morgan and Emogene and then headed to the local mall to fight the crowds. After a few hours, Morgan and Karin took a short break while Emogene and I stood in line to get a pretzel.



After finishing at the mall, we went by Marshall's and Kohl's before finally heading home at 3:30 pm, exhausted! We got some great bargains and had a fun time experiencing Black Friday. Although the stores were packed and everyone was quite polite and friendly, I'm glad though that I didn't have any particular item that I HAD to stand in line to buy! That would have definitely taken the fun out of the day!




Corrie, Karin and Emogene "wave" to say good-bye to Glenn and me on Saturday as we left together to go to spend the day and night with Glenn's sister's family in Augusta. (Pop and Emogene drove themselves back to Marietta the same day.)


I will miss my sister Karin. She and her husband have been good to Glenn and me through the years, but I love her because she loves me. The fact that she is so much fun is an added blessing! BTW-Karin and her family will fly into Budapest this July and then hop on a boat to take a cruise down the Danube River. I'm so glad we'll get to see them again in 7 months!


Next week I'll give you pictures of our time with Glenn's family and a full update of this week. We're headed up to Maryville (yes, where our son used to live) to visit with two of our families from overseas who are on their stateside assignment right now!
Have a great week!

3 comments:

Kate Borders said...

Thanks for the pictures...so fun to see you all together, makes me miss you all...and be excited that we'll see you soon!

Looks like you all hit the jackpot on black Friday! Glad you had fun :)

Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures!

Lots of love,
Kate

Senegal Daily said...

Looks like a fun visit!! Karin looks great... as do the KK doughnuts :)

Pam D said...

Ooooh... we'll get to see you on Sunday... ooooh........ :<)
That is one amazing tree! I thought ours was big (Adam picked out one that we had to trim both top and bottom to get it to fit in the house!). Looks like you all had a wonderful time visiting and eating and shopping... hurray for the holidays! hugs.....