Sunday, November 08, 2009

I'd like to be spiritual...

Sometimes when I mention to folks here that I write a blog each week, they want to know the blog address. I really don't mind them reading this, but I always cringe because I'm afraid they're expecting something spiritual, insightful or my deepest thoughts. I'm quick to explain that it is really more of a public journal so that our family and friends can see what Glenn and I are doing. Of course, the part that we're REALLY doing, we can't write about so it looks like we just travel a lot to meetings, conferences and to visit our families. However, if you want to know what God is teaching me, you'd have to read my prayer journal that Donna from NCCS gave me as a good-bye gift. Or just write me and ask!



Tuesday night Bible study

This week has been busy but nothing out of the ordinary. Monday and Tuesday night we fixed a meal for two families up at the Eden House who we wanted to spend some time with but who were not in good enough health to come down to our house. Tuesday evening Bible study was at our house. (It was our turn to lead it and prepare the refreshments. (Well, Glenn led it and I fixed the applesauce cake and coffee.)

Wednesday is date night because it is the day the local theatre discounts their movies from $8 down to $6.50...so we went to see The Time Traveler's Wife. It was okay. Not great. Kind of a weird ending, and I much prefer movies to end "happily ever after".



Shopping, anyone?

Thursday was our annual neighborhood dump day. Once a year the trash company indicates a specific location in each neighborhood for everyone to place their broken appliances, furniture, used clothing and other junk that wouldn't fit in the trash can during the year. This year the empty lot in front of our house was NOT supposed to be one of the chosen locations but instead, a block up the street. Evidently old habits die hard.

They picked it up on Thursday but folks have continued to bring stuff to the spot infront of our house. I sure hope they come back again!!!! Today is Sunday, it is raining, and a guy is sitting under a scrawny tree with an umbrella, just waiting for folks to drop stuff off. He wants to be the first to dig through it to see if he wants anything.



Kimber and Christina

On Friday I went into town with two of our Eden House guests to show them the sights. They'd been at the Eden House all week and were a little bored, so even though it was cold and dreary, we headed into town to walk around a little. We hit the high tourist spots: Gellert Hotel, climbed up to Church in the Rock, walked across the Szechenyi Bridge, wandered into Grand Market hall and shared a langos (fried dough with sour cream, shredded cheese and ham-yum!), caught the metro out to Heroe's Square, meandered through City Park to the fake castle, and then stopped in a local grocery store on the way home.



Christina was a trooper!

We did stop to smell the roses and to let Christina do something she would enjoy. :)



That is not Chex Mix!

We are heading to Turkey for a Member Care meeting this week so come back this time next week and I'll have pictures of our trip!

Whenever we head out of town (which is quite frequent) we have to do something with whatever is left in our fridge so that it doesn't spoil while we're gone. This includes fruit, fresh veggies and bread. I had two partial loaves of bread that needed to be used up or thrown out, so I made garlic croutons. (I hate to waste food.) I've come into the kitchen twice and caught Glenn eating them as if they were Chex Mix!

Now that we have become masters at packing and closing up our house, we don't even have to write down our list of things to do before leaving. We even know automatically who does what task. In case you're interested, this is what we do every time we travel:

1) move plants from kitchen window and living room out to the mud room, 2) take mailbox key and note of where we're going and when we'll be back to our next door neighbor, 3) call for a taxi, 4) make a soup to use up left-over veggies in bin and freeze, 5) lock file drawer cabinet, 6) turn off hot water heater, 7) turn off water to the house so pipes don't burst when freezing outside, 8) turn down thermostat, 9) close all doors (in case of fire :), 10) Put milk and orange juice from fridge into freezer 11) plug in timers for the lights so it looks like we're home, 12) put bikes in basement, 13) close all the downstairs shutters 14) and then empty all trash cans into outside trash can.

And of course, we do the reverse when we get home!

Have a great week!

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Yup. That's Dad's hand-in-the-cookie-jar face :)

I loved your list. Well, I always love lists - but in this case it's neat to see how traveling and preparing to travel has become such a part of your lives. Other couples split the chores by habit and y'all also split the travel prep!

Have a safe trip and EAT A LOT OF GOOD FOOD for me!

Kate Borders said...

Soooooo jealous that you're going to Turkey! Not that I'm not jealous of all the other places you get to go, but you know :)

And we are so thankful for your online journal of the stuff that you CAN share :)

Safe travels - hope your time is fruitful.

Tonight at dinner Chris said, "I'm ready to go to Budapest..."

Can't wait to see you!
Love,
Kate