Monday, December 14, 2009

Gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks!

Well, our fourth week in America passed by more quickly than the first three weeks did, and it was bittersweet. Our first week was spent in Indiana at a member care conference, and now we've been in Marietta for the past 3 weeks. We hate to have to say good-bye to our family but we also know that the sooner we got back to Budapest, the sooner we get to see our children who are coming to spend Christmas with us!

But let me tell you about what we did this past week...



Shopping at Walgreens!

I finished the last of my Christmas shopping this past week, buying gifts for my Dad, Emogene, Queenie and Pa (my in-laws). Did you know you could buy for everyone on your list at one store if you like giving gift cards? I was amazed at the "one stop shopping" that can be done at Walgreens-they had quite the variety! I like to receive the store cards but I don't like to give them. Sorry, Dad!



Prezzano's Pizza with Pam

Rendezvous-ing at North Cobb Christian School where I first met her several years ago, Pam and I went for lunch in Kennesaw...but not until we went by her son's class for me to speak impromptu-ously (Is that a word? Can I make it one?) to them about our work overseas. A little rusty at public speaking and not sure how much they would understand about our jobs as counselors to the missionaries, never-the-less, I shared with them about our ministry in hopes that they would pray for Glenn and me during the remainder of the school year!

I met Pam when she came to look at NCCS as a prospective school for Adam years ago when I was the Admissions Director. She is also a member of West Cobb Church where we worshipped before moving to Budapest. The time we spent together at Prezzano's was really the first time Pam and I have really just sat down and gotten to know each other, even though she has been so good to me over the past three years by praying for us, leaving encouraging comments on my blog, and sending me wonderful care packages from time to time. I really enjoyed getting to know her better!




I wrapped all my Dad's Christmas presents that he is giving to family and friends. I love doing stuff like this for him while I am "home".



The Holloways

We drove up to Calhoun late one afternoon to spend the evening with our good friends, Karen and Stephen and their kids, and their grandkids! We go waaaay back to our seminary days in the early 1980's. We lived parallel lives with them for so many years as we vacationed with them, raised our kids together, served on the mission field in West Africa together, and then moved back to Georgia together. It's kind of strange to see the different paths our lives have taken in the past few years after having been so similar for so long. Whereas our kids have moved far away, theirs live close by. They have grandkids, but we don't (yet).



Not enough chairs in the house?

Several nights a week, Glenn and I would watch a movie late in the evening with Emogene and Pop. We watched a few Christmas movies to get us in the spirit of the season, and we watched a few chick flicks too. Emogene has a Blockbuster card that gives her unlimited movies per month, one at a time, for one set price. We tried to help her get her money's worth!




I also helped my dad with some real estate paperwork. Those of you who know me WELL, know that I am not good with math/numbers, which makes it funny (and scary?) that I helped him figure out the amortization schedule on properties for which he holds the mortgage. (Is that right, Dad? Is that what I did for you?)




Glenn and I spent an evening with my brother Jay and his son Christian. It is hard to believe that just a few days ago my brother turned 35. He was born during my freshman year at Auburn University. It is hard to believe that I graduated from high school 35 years ago! Akkk! Is that possible?




We met our nephew and his wife for breakfast one morning at Sweet Cakes on the Marietta Square. Major event since I don't do breakfasts or mornings! It was good to visit with them, hear about what God is doing in their lives, and to get caught up on their news.

They also gave us a tour of their "new" house.




They actually remodeled Glenn's parents' old house on Allgood Road. The house was built in 1867 and was in desperate need of some rebuilding and restoring. Beth and Stephen did an incredible job of building onto, into and around the old house, using as much of the brick of the old house as possible.




The brick that you see here was originally the outside wall of their back porch. I love how they have incorporated the outside brick INTO the house walls.




We also went out to dinner one night with Glenn's parents (Queenie and Pa) and Glenn's aunt and uncle(Judy and Lindsay). I loved this picture of Pa with his dapper cap!




We enjoyed salads and pizza (what else?) at Mellow Mushroom and an evening of reminiscing about years past. I told Judy that when Glenn and I were ready to retire, we wanted to buy their cabin in the woods in Elijay, but Judy informed me I'd have trouble getting it from their kids who also love it! Rats!




Wanda and Bill came to town and stayed with Emogene for a few days. It was so good to see them! The Traweeks were good friends with my parents and Emogene and Bobby Bass (before Bobby passed away) back when I was in high school and living in Virginia! They went to our church and were military also so we had a lot in common. The thing I remember most about Wanda, besides her ability to laugh easily, was that she had a white chair in her living room and kids were not allowed to sit in the chair! I remember wondering what good it was to have a chair that no one could sit in!?!



SS class Christmas luncheon

Glenn and I volunteered to help his mother cater a luncheon for a senior adult Sunday School class on Saturday, just like we used to do every Christmas when we lived in Marietta. We love preparing and serving at the luncheons because it is the best time for us to get to see so many of our dear senior adult friends again!




While the folks were singing, the "hired help" sits in the back and eats.



Carolyn and E.W.

While I was serving the food, Carolyn introduced me to her new husband and later gave me permission to share "their story" with you. It is fantastic! E.W. was Carolyn's first boyfriend, and they were engaged for 2 years, from 1943-1945, until Carolyn met Henry and wrote E.W. a "Dear John" letter-breaking their 2 year engagement. Carolyn soon married Henry and E.W. later married a friend of Carolyn's named Louise.


The two families kept in touch through the years, but I don't know to what degree. A couple of years ago Louise passed away and later the same year, Henry died also. At Henry's funeral, E.W. offered to help Carolyn probate the will and take care of some of the paperwork "because he knew how to do it since he'd recently had to do it when Louise passed away". (What a pick-up line!) To make a long story short, Carolyn and E.W. were married this past August 21st, which was Carolyn's 84th birthday! (E.W. is a few years older than Carolyn but he didn't elaborate.) Carolyn showed me the engagement ring on her wedding finger. It was the same one E.W. had given her in 1943! He had saved it all those years! Isn't that a cute story? They were a lot like young newlyweds!





We attended worship on Sunday at Marietta First Baptist Church and got to see some more folks we knew from when we were members there. Brandon is a friend of our daughter, Kari. He looks the same but is all grown up!




I saw Dean Hunter, who was my supervisor when I served as the Interim Minister to Children at MFBC from May 1995 to November 1996. He still looks the same too!




It was sad to say good-bye to Beck, Darden, Queenie and Pa.




But, most of all, it was hardest for me to say good-bye to my Dad. He opened his home to us, offered to rent us a car to use (but we thank Beck and Darden for loaning us one of their extra vehicles to use!), took us out to eat several times, and "helped" us with a lot of our shopping. Thanks, Dad! We had a great time and will miss you. I love you and am looking forward to helping you again on your taxes and such next September.


Speaking of September...we will take our stateside assignment in Marietta next September through January and will stay in the missionary home of Marietta First Baptist Church. We hope to have time to visit with everyone again next time we are home! It was great!


We are now in Virginia at our International Learning Center for a Member Care meeting of Lead Consultants. We'll be here until Saturday, which is when we return to Budapest and will see our kids later the same day! Can't wait!!






































3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Great post, Mom. Thanks for all the pictures and updates - you must be exhausted though!

See you Sunday!

Love, K

Unknown said...

Wow...you guys have been busy! Hope the conference goes well. See you in 5 days!!!
Love,
Kate

Pam D said...

Cile, I don't know how you do it; I would be laid out cold on the floor after all of that. God obviously is filling you up constantly. The picture of the bags at the end says so much.
Praying .. for the conference to provide just what you need in this new phase of your jobs. For safe and comfortable travel. And for boundless joy when you get to be with your children again...
(and I'm already looking forward to next September.....)
{{{hugs}}}}