Sunday, May 09, 2010

My newest ministry!

In addition to my TCK education ministry, providing member care to our personnel, covering at the Eden House once a month, opening our home for food and fellowship, and being a tour guide in town when folks come to visit Budapest, my latest ministry is flower delivery!




I got an email from Dwayne and Missy, asking if I could pick up some daisies for Dwayne's mom for Mother's Day and take them to her. Dwayne's mom is Mary, our co-worker here in Budapest, and they wanted to make sure "Mimi" (as they call her) knew they were thinking of her on Mother's Day. I couldn't find cut daisies so I got her a potted planter full of daisies that she will be able to enjoy for a long time. Hopefully!




I promise, I work hard during the week (I also PLAY hard on the weekends!) This week I took Friday off to go with one of the guests at the Eden House to the Szecheny Thermal spa in downtown. I know... it is a rough life but SOMEBODY gets to do it, and there's no reason why it can't be ME!




I met Elizabeth in town at 12:30 pm in front of the thermal spa and before going in, we enjoyed a picnic lunch on the grounds. The day was warm and beautiful. Very comfortable, temperature wise, but not hot. Perfect day for the spa! Indoors or outside!




Now, we all know the rumor that Europeans are not very modest, and there is some truth to that, but we bought spa tickets that allowed us to change and store our clothes in private "cabins". The ironic thing is that men and women use the same hallway so you have to make sure you are fully dressed before exiting the "cabins.




I've shown you pictures before of this place, but I didn't do much else this week besides return emails about education. The pictures of the spa are much more interesting than me sitting at my dining room table with the computer in front of me and all my papers spread out before me. Boring!

Outside, there are 3 large pools with different purposes. This one has the hottest water at 38 degrees Celcius (or if you prefer, Centigrade). If you look closely (zoom in) on the far right side, you will see several men playing checkers or chess in the water. If you see a picture in a tourist magazine of this spa, it will usually have a shot of this pool with a close-up of men playing chess or checkers.




The middle pool is a lap pool reserved for those who are here for exercise. No loafing in this pool!




And the third pool at the far end is the "fun" pool. In the very center is a jacuzzi that will seat about 15 people. In the circle surrounding the jacuzzi is a whirlpool that has jets that make the water go 'round and 'round. This is my favorite! If you lift your feet off the bottom, you will float all the way around the circle without a bit of effort. The current is really fast and if someone tries to walk it, they will get bumped by the folks who have their feet lifted!




The weather was really nice, but not warm enough for me to want to sunbathe! Maybe this guy had done laps all afternoon and needed a bit of rest!




We also took advantage of the indoor pools. All in all, there are 17 pools, I believe. Each one has something different to offer. Temperatures vary, some have minerals in them, one is for a water aerobic class (we also participated in this too!), and there are a bunch of saunas with the ice pool right beside it for dipping/freezing afterward! Some people just enjoy sitting or laying in the water and letting the warmth relax them. (And for those who are wondering, no, that is not me in the aqua blue bathing suit with the dark hair. She just looks like me.)




This man evidently got too relaxed in the pools! He was sleeping quite soundly!

Anyway, the day was lovely (as my "British" co-worker would say) and I felt all loosy goosy the rest of the evening. Taking people to the spa is one of my favorite things!




This week the iron man showed up at our house with burglar bars for our downstairs windows. We didn't ask for them but our landlord felt really, really bad about our break-in back in January, so he hired a guy to make burglar bars for the house.




This is the view out of one of our four living room windows, overlooking the carport.




And this is the view out of our downstairs bathroom, overlooking our neighbors yard. I was a little worried that I wouldn't like the bars on the windows, that I would feel like a prisoner in my own home, but actually they are quite nice. (I sound like my "British" co-worker again.) Do you see my curtains on the window? They are shower curtains that match the curtains on the tub/shower! I thought that was creative! Besides that, it was a lot easier to buy two sets of shower curtains than to find fabric to match and then have to make the curtain myself (or take it to my Hungarian friend, Judit who is the seamstress.)

Well, tomorrow I head to Poland for a Ladies Road Trip. We are going to shop for Polish pottery! I'm using (by faith) birthday money I hope to get from my Dad and Glenn's parents, and from money E. gave me last year that I've been saving for this trip. I am driving; two other ladies from BP are going with me. We will drive to Brno, Czech Republic and pick up Wendi and her daughter Emma, then the five of us will drive to the town of Boleslawiec, Poland which is the town where all the pottery is made. We'll shop on Tuesday, and return home on Wednesday. Glenn is staying in BP because he had a revisit by the stomach bug that was here two weeks ago. Maybe I will pick him up a piece of pottery so he will know I was thinking of him!

No comments: