Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Time for Turkey!

I know, I'm late again, but this time I have a good reason that isn't my fault. Glenn and I went to Turkey for the Singles Retreat to provide member care and Turkey has blocked all internet users from accessing blogger.com. So, today's update will be a little longer than a typical update because it needs to cover 10 days :-).




We flew in and out of Istanbul but the retreat was actually held in southern Turkey in the tourist town of Antalya...on the beach.




This hotel is down the street from the one we actually stayed in. (The beach is behind it.) Ours wasn't quite this big but it was as nice. It's off season so we could stay for $55 a night and it's all-inclusive- that includes 3 meals a day, all the drinks at the bar (Diet Coke!) we wanted, all the amenities which include a bowling alley, a spa, and a water park that is amazing. Unfortunately, it was too cold to swim in the pools and the Mediterranean Sea.




The first couple of days there it was quite cool and overcast but the last couple of days were gorgeous. Another unfortunate thing...I forgot my bathing suit!




Thursday night was karaoke and my sweet husband was full of surprises! He sang Proud Mary to our group and even danced as he sang! I have it on video but I don't know how to upload it to my blog...but if you're interested, I can forward it to you!!!




The afternoons were free to go into town to sight see or to shop but Glenn and I stayed at the hotel and worked on emails except for one afternoon. The last day of the retreat we went to the market area in Old Town and walked around for several hours, enjoying the sunshine and the beautiful views.




The market was so colorful!!




Almost every 4th store was selling Turkish Delight, a special candy that I cannot fathom why anyone buys. It must be an "acquired taste" that I don't have yet! In fact, no one in our group seemed to care for it either.

When the retreat ended, we flew to Istanbul to spend a couple of days with two couples on our member care team who work in that part of the world to get to know them better and for Glenn to talk "shop" with them.




While we were there, I went to my favorite place-the grocery store! I could not believe the price of food there in Istanbul. This stack of sliced turkey, about 15 pieces, was $13 dollars!




The strawberries were beautiful, but they too were expensive.




I found a teeny tiny bottle of Pepsi in one of the stores. It was so cute!




Now, what does one need to do to get one of these in Budapest??? Would you believe I actually went inside to see what one doughnut cost and came out without one? Such strong willpower. One doughnut cost about $1.50!




When it was time to return to Budapest...first, we had to catch a taxi from the apartment...




then we took the ferry boat....




then we took a bus to the airport.




Yes, a taxi, ferry and a bus just to get to the airport!!! And then we took a plane home!




It is a little unnerving to board the plane to find an "evil eye" hanging inside the plane. (Do you see it? It's hanging up there at the top of the curtain.) These are EVERYWHERE in Turkey and in this part of the world, and for sale as tourist items as well as hanging in cars, in stores, in windows, etc for REAL. The meaning of the evil eye varies depending on the country, but it generally is believed to protect a person from getting the evil eye (or curse) from another person. I guess the evil eye is there for those who believe it can protect them from, well, plane crashes.

Well, we are home for a month and I am so ready to unpack my bags and buy groceries! Our crate should arrive on Thursday, if all goes well with the customs office tomorrow. We've got company coming later this month and I'm looking forward to it!

Take care, and I'll be back next Sunday!

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I have GOT to see the karaoke video!!!

I can't believe they have KK doughnuts! Charity said they're getting one in Cardiff. I'm thinking Dakar is waaay down on the list, well after Budapest.

Enjoy unpacking your crate and time with friends!

Kate Borders said...

YES - PLEASE SEND THE VIDEO OF GLENN DANCING AND SINGING!!! Can't wait :)

Glad you had a good trip - talk to you soon!
Love,
Kate