Sunday, July 03, 2011

Hungary,Turkey, Hungary

Well, I'm late again! Sorry :-(




Two weeks ago we were in Budapest and I noticed how "up-town" we'd become! On both sides of our neighborhood we found these beautiful signs that welcome everyone to Budafok. We've gone big time!




When we were at the Budapest airport to fly to Turkey, I saw this huge poster and pondered on what the guy in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower was advertising with a baguette up against his ear and a map spread out before him. Maybe he was lost and was using the map to find his way? Well, the map won't help him because he's in the wrong country. It is a map of Rome! Yes, a map of Rome (it's written on the front of the map!)




We flew into Istanbul and then caught a taxi out to a small town about 45 minutes away called Selimpasa. It's on the coast of the Sea of Marmara. (We are here for the Russian cluster meeting, to do member care appointments.)




We met an American couple that run a travel agency here in Turkey. I go to the other side of the world and meet someone from Marietta, Georgia! How crazy is that? Chris and Angela were from Indian Hills on the other side of Cobb County. It is truly a small world.




Our hotel was small, overlooked the sea, and had, as found in most hotels in Europe, twin beds in each room. The pool was nice, but I never got in. Instead, I preferred to lay out by the sea in lounge chairs during the afternoon breaks. As always, I enjoy reading the funny wording on signs!



The dining room was huge, and half of the tables were outside on a covered porch overlooking the Sea of Marmara. Most days the weather was beautiful, but there were a few days that were cool (cold) and rainy, and boy, the wind blowing off the sea was a bit chilly!!!




Situated on the beach, the lone hotel was surrounded by quaint vacation villas covered with flowering vines and colorful bushes. We enjoyed walking through the neighborhood and ohhhing and ahhhing over all the beautifully landscaped yards.

There isn't a lot of commerce in the nearby town so I'm assuming most folks drive into Istanbul to work. There is, however, an open-air market on Sundays for the local folks to buy gorgeous fresh fruits and vegetables, and a host of other "necessities". Glenn and I bought a melon, peaches, cashews, and plums to snack on during the days here.




Because Turkey is a muslim country where modesty is a big deal, I was surprised to see a man selling the bras.




Locally made cheese for sale. I wasn't brave enough to try any.




Dried fruits, nuts, spices, cookies and so on...




And I loved the GAP jerseys! Of course, chances are pretty good they are either knock-offs or genuine fakes :-).




Glenn patiently walked with me through the housewares but I think he much preferred the tools, gadgets and hardware!




I saw some really neat kitchen items but I didn't NEED anything so all I did was browse. Any time I want to buy something, Glenn asks me if I'd rather buy it or go visit my children. Children win every time!




It is definitely watermelon season here and they are cheap! Our hotel had watermelon slices on the buffet line for every lunch and dinner meal since we arrived here over a week ago. I love watermelon so I've eaten it for dessert every day, twice a day!

We head back to BP tomorrow morning but I still have some pictures of this trip to show you so I may update before next Sunday. Stay tuned for more pictures of our time in Turkey.

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Wow - those market pictures make me want to shop!! Glad you were able to enjoy some good fruits (even if you chickened out on the cheeses - I would love to try local Turkish cheeses sometime!) and get in some walks and rest. Sounds like what we'll do when you're here: fruit, rest, walk, repeat. :)

Senegal Daily said...

...And we'll try to avoid any member care type crisis for you to deal with while you're here!