Sunday, March 18, 2012

A record-breaking blog post!

Well folks, I just broke a record (not a good one) for the longest time between two blog updates. It was not unusual, I regret, to skip a week between updates, but I've now managed to skip two weeks!!! And the worse part of it is, I actually did a blog update last week but FORGOT TO UPLOAD IT TO MAKE IT PUBLIC! So, since it is already written, here it is, a week late. Or it is two weeks late??? (Maybe mid-week I will write again. We'll see.)

Glenn and I just returned from Germany where we spent a week with our folks who have been on the field about a year. They are in their first term so this was a "first termers" conference called Emigrate. There were 19 participants and almost as many facilitators. Glenn and I provided member care and facilitated one of the small discussion groups. Because it was a small number of new personnel, it was pretty easy to get to know each of the families during the course of the week, which, of course, we love!




The volunteer team that came from America to provide childcare and lead the children's program brought goody bags for the participants. Cheryl shows off her coveted Samoas Girl Scout cookies while carefully guarding them. Smart lady! Those are my favorites!




We had worship in English every morning, and then various seminars during the day dealing with everything from language learning 501 to being a risk-taker with the gospel, to casting and catching a vision to praying in small groups. The highlight was sharing in the Lord's Supper the last night.




The weather was pretty cool and cloudy most of the week and our schedule was pretty packed so I didn't have a chance to get out and walk in the village where we were staying except for the second to the last day. I didn't take my camera with me but I was able to take this picture of a typical Bavarian house from the bus on our way to the airport.

Friday afternoon, I flew on back to Budapest but Glenn went to Prague (Czech Republic) for a leadership training of some sort for 4 days. I enjoyed my time alone in Budapest but was glad to have Glenn back!




Mary and Alvin, our co-workers, had me over for lunch on Sunday. They will be retiring this July and we will miss them terribly! They are slowing packing, sorting and selling some of their things so their house is beginning to look different. We are buying their washer and dryer because my washer takes one hour and 15 minutes per load and my dryer is limping along. (I'm hoping it will last until July!!!)




Because Mary and Alvin are wrapping up their time overseas, they are staying out of the grocery store and trying to use up all their American products before they go. Mary made these tiny chocolate chip cookies using mini M & M's for dessert. You can see the size of the cookies by comparing them with the teaspoon beside the plate!

Glenn is down with a stomach bug this weekend but hopefully, he will be feeling better soon. I'm doing my best to wait on him hand and foot, but not doing it very well :-). Just ask him! It's just so sad to see him laying on the couch and feeling so badly.


No comments: