Monday, March 05, 2012

Spring is around the corner!

When a person lives overseas and their job requires almost constant use of a computer, all things grind to a halt when said computer crashes. Such was my experience this past week. Totally blank screen with no response to any command. I tried everything I knew how to do (which, admittedly, is not much) to bring it back to life. I let it rest for two days while I dealt with my frustration and grief in healthy ways, I prayed over it, and I would have anointed it with oil but I heard that food crumbs and Coke Zero are not good for the keyboard.

Anyway, with the help of a husband who sat at my computer for hours on end for two days, working with the IT department to fix my computer, it is now up and running. Well, limping. At least I can get into my emails now. I had to download another browser in order to do this blog!




Last weekend Glenn and I had the privilege of having 3 young ladies stay with us while they were in Budapest to do some sightseeing. Michelle (left) is one of "ours", Carissa (middle) was one of her college girl friends, and Becca (right) is a friend of Carissa's. With the help of Glenn, they were planning out their sightseeing route to maximize their time in town. We enjoyed having them; only wished they could have stayed longer!




I was in the mood for some African food so I pulled up one of my daughter's recipes called Ceebu Yap. We invited the Doyles over to enjoy the Senegalese dish with us because they used to live in West Africa and they like this kind of spicy food too. It had a sauce of marinated beef, onions, carrots, potatoes and cabbage sauteed in oil, garlic, and tomato paste with a little bit of red pepper flakes thrown in, served over rice that was also cooked in water, oil, garlic and tomato paste. YUM!




A store called American Rags that sells used clothing opened up at one of our malls close by, and every time I pass by it, I get amused at the title and their false advertising. I wonder why anyone would want to buy clothes, regardless of where they come from, that are described as rags. (I also wonder why any woman would ever buy clothes from a store called Dress Barn, but that is another story.)




And I have yet to find a single article of clothing in the store that comes from America, much less from Abercrombie & Fitch, Tommy Hilfiger, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Levi's, Gap, and Ralph Lauren!




The weather has finally started to warm up so Glenn dropped me off at the tram station and then went to OBI (think: Home Depot or Lowe's) to pick up some Pansies for our yard. It's not real warm. Notice he is still wearing a coat?




While he was "playing in the dirt again" (Pike's Nursery jingle), I met Melissa and her mother-in-law at one of the five (yes, five!) Starbuck's in town to see Melissa's beautiful baby, Ella, who is now about 6 weeks old. Our time was too rushed, but I was glad to see them! They will be moving to Turkey later this year so our time with them is very limited. We don't get to see them often because they live 45 -50 minutes away from us by public transport, but we will miss them when they move.




Since the temperature is finally creeping upward, I'm forcing myself to get outside and walk for exercise to get rid of the Christmas candy, Cinnabon sweet rolls, and German Sour Sticks that have accumulated around my waist. Glenn and I enjoy looking at all the flowers sprouting and the new houses being built. This boxy, mono-chromatic, modern house was finished just this winter, and I think it, how do I put this delicately? I think it is not as pretty as any other house in all of Budapest. It is in our neighborhood where most of the houses were built 30-50 years ago so they have lots of character and culture, compared with this one that seems so, so, so ... out of place. Can you tell I don't care for it?




I love this sign. This is our "neighborhood watch" sign. Wonder who was watching our house when it was broken into 2 years ago? Oh, yeah. The thief!

Have a great week! "SEE" you on Sunday for another exciting update on the life of living in Budapest!

No comments: