Sunday, January 27, 2008

Prague is cold and windy!

After a hectic beginning to our week, we are able to end it in Prague (Czech Republic) at a much slower pace!



Starbucks opened their first coffee shop in Prague just a week ago so Denise (who lives in Prague) and I took a coffee break after a long afternoon of shopping for a pair of boots for her. The best we could find in boots was one pair on sale for $80. No joke. The norm for a pair of leather boots ON SALE is over $100. Needless to say, she didn't get boots. We did, however, get a cup of Starbucks coffee for $5. I am not a coffee drinker, but I did buy a white coffee mocha just for the experience of it. The pleasure of Denise's company was well worth the $5, but the coffee was only worth about $1.50 to me.



Glenn and I came to Prague for our Ebenezer, which is for folks who are just completing their first year on the field. It is a time to help us process all we have gone through and to be able to see what God has done "thus far"... (See 1 Samuel 7, I believe). Anyway, we needed to come up early to meet with some folks, so we had some free time before Ebenezer started. We discovered this wonderful place called The Bohemian Bagel. The bagel sandwiches are really good, but the real treat is the ice (serve yourself from the Red Bull ice bucket) and the fountain drinks, and on top of that, it has free refills!



It is fun to walk through town and see all the products that there are in Prague that we don't have in Hungary. I don't think we can find Coke Blak in Hungary, but even if we can, it is so much more prevalent here in Prague. I found Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup at the local Tesco store here, but we don't get that in our Tesco in Budapest, so I bought 2 cans. Each can was $2.75 so that is why I only got 2 cans!!!



I love the cobblestone sidewalks!


I love the cobblestone streets!


I love the ornate buildings!


The whole city is so picturesque! No trick photography!


Saw a wedding in the town square when it was below 30 degrees!


And had lots of sun the first few days we were here



But today is Sunday and the clouds have come in and "they" are predicting snow. Don't know if we will get snow, but it sure is cold and windy!


Sunday afternoon nap time begins with a big piece of chocolate!


Wish you were here!


Even though we are having a great time in Prague meeting up with old friends and enjoying our time of worship in English, our hearts are heavy with some news we received. The volunteer couple that was to arrive this next week (Feb. 2) to manage the Eden House for two months will not be coming. This past Wednesday Don slipped on ice in Missouri, fell, hit his head and died. We grieve with Barbara for her loss in this tragedy and pray for God to be very, very close to her. Would you please pray for God to comfort her with that peace that passes all understanding? We know that God is in control whether we understand why He allows certain things to happen.


1 comment:

Pam D said...

Dear Cile,
I am so sorry to hear about Don; what a shock it must be to his wife, and to all who knew him as well. We truly don't know what the next minute will bring, but knowing that Don is in the presence of God makes it bearable. One Caringbridge friend who lost a child put it this way:

2 Peter 3:8

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Out came the calculator... if I live another 50 years, I will only be away from my boy for 1 hour 12 minutes! So, now when I have a bad moment, I think back to that: 72 minutes!!

Meanwhile, Adam went to Awanas with a friend from school tonight (and LOVED it). I was talking to the boy's father, and he said that Matthew had to pray for a missionary for Awanas and he picked some friends named the Borders! So, Matthew Brown, along with Tim and Karen, are praying for you, right along with Adam and myself. Pretty cool.... :<)
Praying for your friends, and for ALL of us to realize that some day, the pieces will all fall into place and the picture will be made clear...