Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Wake up, America!

Isn't that a catchy title? I bet it grabbed your attention and made you wonder what I was talking about! Actually, it is Tuesday right at 12:00 noon and I realized America was just now waking up and I've been up for hours! Of course, even though I've been up for hours, I'm still 2 days behind on getting my blog updated!!!


Repairing and preparing...

We spent a couple of days this week doing some repairs around the Eden House because they needed doing, but the motivator for finally doing them was the upcoming visit of some of the Trustees from the IMB. Two of the Trustees and their wives arrived on Saturday of last week, left on Monday to view the work in another country nearby, then returned on Thursday. The rest of the Trustees arrived on Thursday, May 1. That began the real work!



I had volunteered to prepare a couple of meals for all the visiting Trustees and those of us on the "welcoming team" at the Eden House, which included 16-20 people. I did a potato bar with green salad for Thursday lunch. Seemed to be a hit.


Gulyasleves! (Goulash soup)

Thursday evening I fixed a HUGE pot of Hungarian Goulash Soup for 21 people.


Glenn serves the Trustees



On Friday morning, we baked breakfast casseroles and served it with fresh fruit and yogurt. Saturday morning we cooked up a mess o' scrambled eggs, bacon, jalepeno cheese grits and Michelle's homemade biscuits! I think the Trustees enjoyed their meals at the Eden House!

Cooking all those meals was tiring but a lot of fun. I had a lot of help too! Sue (moved to Budapest in March) came over on Wednesday before the Trustees arrived and helped me chop, dice, slice, grate and peel everything that could be done in advance, which helped tremendously!!! Then Glenn, Brian and Michelle helped me actually cook and serve all the meals, so it was a "team" effort! Yea, Member Care Team!


Eating dinner in The Cave

On Friday night, we took the Trustees out to dinner at a local Hungarian restaurant (meaning, we drove them but the meal was at their expense) to a place called The Cave, or The Cellar. (We ate there when my Dad and Emogene came out in September.) It is called the cave or cellar because it is somewhat underground and they used to raise mushrooms in the cave, which is located underneath a house. They've cleaned out the mushrooms and put heat in the walls, and turned it into a really unique restaurant that has great food.


Mary and Alvin visiting with some Trustees

And I'd like to say that we relaxed and took the day off on Saturdayafter the Trustees left, but we didn't. We had 16 loads of laundry to do, food to put away, and emails to return! Oh! And a room to clean since we had someone coming in on Sunday morning to stay at the Eden House!



Hawk, a co-worker from Prague, spent a good portion of Sunday and Monday at our house, working on our computers. Mine was taking FOREVER to send and receive emails and seemed to have an "infection", as Hawk put it. I don't think it is the same thing as a virus, so everyone can relax. Anyway, he was able to fix it and my computer is up and running again. Hence, one of the reasons why I am now able to update my blog!!



And after I get my most urgent emails taken care of, I am going to go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather and smell the roses (irisis's).

Don't forget to honor your mother next Sunday (and every day of the year!). This past Sunday was Mother's Day in Hungary, and the flowers for sale were gorgeous and abundant!!

1 comment:

Senegal Daily said...

Yay for blog updates! Looks like Hungary is blooming - like Lyon. Man, making those meals sounds like it was a HUGE undertaking! But I'm sure it was fun too.

That's a really picture of Mary, by the way. You should send it to Alvin for his wallet :)