Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Flying solo!

Well, Glenn is in Georgia and I'm here in Budapest.  He is helping his mother pack some of her belongings and next week will move her from his brother's house in Marietta to North Augusta, S.C. where she will stay with his sister for a while.  I am "holding down the fort" until he returns.  I've got a mega list of things to do while he is gone and I am sooooo enjoying ticking them off the list.



The weather finally turned a little warmer and we got some sunshine on Sunday.  People were obviously chompin' at the bit to get out of their houses because the sidewalks and parks were crowded with couples strolling about, children playing in sandboxes, joggers on the roads, babies being pushed in their prams or strollers, and parents walking behind their children miles ahead on tricycles, bikes with training wheels and two-wheelers!  It reminded me of ants hatching out of nests in Ivory Coast and just pouring out of their holes.  People everywhere!  

If you recall, just a few weeks ago I posted a picture of children and adults sledding down the hill in the background of the picture with the jogger who is wearing shorts and a tee-shirt!



I've been doing okay by myself (you know, not hearing noises go bump in the night that keep me awake until the sun rises), but I sure could have used Glenn's help the other morning when I tried to fix a pot of coffee for a friend of mine from Poland who came to spend a night with me before attending a conference in town.  Hmmmm, I guess our new coffee machine doesn't require paper filters, does it, Glenn?  The water and coffee grounds just kept overflowing from the top of the machine, down the sides, across the counter, making a royal mess. 

Denise and I, coffee fiends that we are, decided a walk down to the coffee shop at the mall was just the thing we needed!  I haven't had the nerve to try a second pot without a filter, just in case that wasn't the problem.  But that's okay.  I have a "Favorite Customer Card" from the Coffeehouse Company and I only need two more coffees before I get a free one!



I mentioned earlier that I've been working off a list and ticking things off as I complete them.  I love people, but I am also task-oriented and a list maker, so if something comes up that takes a lot of time, I have been known to add it to my list (after the fact) and then cross it out ... just to make myself feel that sense of accomplishment!



Anyway, my list is almost two full pages long, and I've marked through 50%-60% of the items!  Maybe before Glenn gets back, I will have accomplished everything on the list and will be bored.  NOT!   No, if I finish everything on the list, I will find myself a good book, a box of bonbons, and the comfy couch and I'll have a great time reading just for pleasure!!!

I've got a lot going on this week ... so not likely to start that book.  Budapest team meeting/pot-luck dinner Wednesday evening, going fabric shopping in town with Judit on Thursday morning, English conversation class on Thursday evening, a ladies slumber party on Friday night, and Denise coming back to my house on Saturday for one more night before she returns to Poland.  All that, plus all the little things on my list!  Busy, busy, busy.

Hope your week is as good as mine will be!




No comments: