Sunday, March 17, 2013

Going Stir-Crazy!

Glenn has been gone for almost 2 weeks and I've done all my projects, caught up on emails, and cleaned the house.  I'm ready for him to be home again!  While I've enjoyed the "I" time doing what I want, eating what I want, and going to bed when I want, I'm tired of being here alone.  This last week I've tried to find things to do with friends to keep myself from becoming bored.  :-)



Judit and I spent one morning at her house doing a craft project that is very common here in Hungary.  Basically, you decoupage a small box with single-ply napkins.  I haven't decoupaged since the 70's!  



Judit reminds me of Glenn's mother.  She doesn't throw out a singe thing.  Her house is packed from top to bottom with things they might need such as 50 cardboard egg cartons, or 100 Carte d'Or ice cream containers, or a 1000 last-of-the-pack dinner napkins!



After choosing a dinner napkin that I wanted to cover my Kiri cheese box with, I painted a base coat over any colored pictures, words or designs on the box that might bleed or show through the napkin.  I then painted a thin coat of, get this, "napkin glue" on the box before gently placing the napkin over it, pushing down the napkin to get all the air holes out, and being careful not to tear the wet, thin paper in the process.



After the glue dried, I trimmed the edges of the napkin to give it a clean edge and voila!  I had a small decorated box for holding small things such as jewelry, buttons or whatever.  I made two boxes in about 2 hours.  It was fun just to be crafting something; not sure what I'll do with the boxes but it was fun to learn how to do it with Judit.



Would you believe we are back into winter weather now?  I went jogging the other day and worked out in the yard with a short sleeve tee shirt, and was comfortable as long as I was moving.  I was so excited that spring seemed to be just days away, and then we get this one last snowfall (at least I hope it is the last one for the year!)  It was a real blizzard for a couple of hours , and we got about 3 inches by time it was over.



We have Tulips and Jonquils and Crocus peeping their blooms through the snow!  Fortunately, the next day it warmed up a LITTLE and some of the snow melted.  



On Friday, Janet and I caught the bus into downtown and went to visit little Ava.    It's amazing how much she has grown just in a month.

Glenn returned on Saturday afternoon, bringing lots of goodies from America.  (We had made a list of things to pick up while he was there.)   We spent most of Saturday unpacking his bags and putting things away, so today we're just relaxing and enjoying our Sabbath rest!

We'll be here for another week before we hit the road again!  Bets, anyone, as to where we're going this time?



1 comment:

Senegal Daily said...

Glad to hear you had fun... but even gladder that you missed Dad and were ready for him to come home! :)