Sunday, July 27, 2008

How to say 'Evel Knievel' in Hungarian (Borders fam trip, part X)


Off we go! My parents were in the chair lift ahead of us.

After being harassed mercilessly by my sister-in-law Julie about my fear of heights, I decided to take yet another daring feat. Well, kind of. What actually happened was...

We saw a picture in a guidebook of this couple riding down a beautifully sloping hill overlooking the city. It said they were on the Zugliget chair lift. I said it sounded like fun, so it was added to the list of things we wanted to do. It wasn't until we got to the highest point in Budapest (1736 feet above sea level) and were next in line for the chair lift that I realized exactly what a chair lift is. I don't know what I thought it was - but certainly not a flimsy seat hanging on for dear life to a wire that is also supporting a bunch of other chair lifts and tushes within.

But I survived.

It was actually wonderful and one of the highlights of the whole Borders Fam Trip 2008 for me.


Surviving - even smiling!


Look Julie - no hands!


Chris and Kate hopping off. Such a family of daredevils.

So you may be asking how one gets to THE highest point in Budapest. The answer is oh-so-simple. If you're starting from my parents' house, you'd take the bus to tram 56. Ride the tram across town, passing through Moszkva ter and going on to the Fogaskereku Vasut stop. Change to the Cogwheel Railway and ride it up to Szechenyi-hegy. Then get on the Children's Railway and ride it to János-hegy Station. Proceed on foot to Erzsébet Tower. And let me tell you - that proceeding will take you straight up.


The kids goofing around while we waited for the train. The adults (Dad and Jonathan) were off searching for a kavé hit.


Waiting for the train


The 'rents on the cogwheel train ride to Szechenyi-hegy Station.


After the two trains and the hike up, the stairs up the Erzsébet Tower await you at the very tip-top of the city.




The family art of the self-portrait




Taking it all in...and trying not to blow away. That wind was fierce!


Resting from the hike up and trying to hide from the wind

No comments: