Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Viennese terror trap (Borders fam trip, part VI)

After spending a wonderful three days in Prague and a great day in Vienna, someone came up with the terrifying idea of putting me in a little box and dangling me sky-high above the city. Or as some may call it, riding the Giant Ferris Wheel at Prater in Vienna. For someone afraid of heights and small spaces, it doesn't really matter what you call it - it's a terror trap.




Poor kids - oblivious to the fear they're about to experience.


So here we are locked into the tiny cage (or 'boxcar' they said) and being whipped up into the air at the gut-wrenching speed of 0.65 meters per second.


Up, up, up we go...and churn, churn, churn goes my stomach.


Can you see the fear in their eyes?


Getting higher...


And to the top...



I'd like to tell you that I was brave and made the most of the experience, but that isn't exactly true. I did look out the windows a few times and even stood up once. (I know - you're impressed.) I am glad I did it...but as far as I'm concerned, ferris wheels are still terror traps.

No comments: